Pages

Jan 28, 2010

Moving forward

Tonight I received a gift from an unexpected source.

I attended a Relief Society meeting billed as a crash course on dealing with depression in yourself and loved ones. I was happy to find friendly people to sit by while listening to subject matter that so directly pertained to my life. I expected to feel emotional, to feel weighed down by frustration and discouragement that the burden of depression is sometimes mine to bear.

But instead I was overwhelmed with contentment and peace, even happiness. As I listened (and surprised myself by sharing a few times) I realized that I have learned important things in the last few years -- things about myself, things about others, things about God's plan of happiness for me -- that have greatly improved my outlook on life. I have done some hard things and survived. I have been in the low valley but now find myself in the mountains. I have learned. I have grown. I have conquered.

From my seat on the back row, I could see how far I have come. And I realized that the ability to appreciate my progress was a gift. So often I feel like I'm taking two steps forward but sixteen steps backward. I feel like the things I do every day with my little kids in my little world make no difference at all. The only movement I notice is the backward movement, or the things I'm not doing or could be doing in a better way. This new perspective was amazing.

I came home from the meeting to a quiet house. Some wonderful friends are staying with us for a couple of days. I have worried that such real-life exposure to my family life might be a straining experience for all of us. Instead, it has been great. As I talked with my friend about the events of the evening, she shared her perspective of my home and family life. She said such lovely things, further validating my impression that I am making progress. Life isn't perfect, but I am making progress. And I feel like God accepts my meager offerings. He is pleased with my work.

Tonight I'm having trouble sleeping, but not because I am worried or afraid or upset. I am overwhelmed with gratitude that I am moving in the right direction. Progress is a beautiful, wonderful thing.

7 comments:

Julz said...

Sounds like it was a good meeting. Wish I had remembered.

granny said...

Love you, girlfriend. I'm glad you had a seat in the mountains tonight.

Shaina said...

I glad for you. From our perspective, you are doing great. You keep your sense of humor and you have unending patience with a little two year old boy. You are a great example to me.

Colleen said...

What a wonderful feeling to have! I am so glad you came home and could see in yourself what the rest of us do.

Gemia said...

Im glad you are making it through it! It gives me hope. I could always use a bit of advice on what brought you to the point you are at. If you ever have the time, go here for me http://ordinarycreativity.blogspot.com
and yell down at me from the mountian you are on above the valley I am still struggling in. "As Sisters in Zion..." amazing how much we can help others with a few simple words. THANK YOU.

The Wizzle said...

I'm so glad you had a good experience. It's a continuum, and we just keep trying to edge toward the "good" side of it.

Grandma said...

I'm glad you're in the mountains. You're making progress every day. I'm proud of you.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share