Pages

Jan 6, 2010

Status updates

This morning the kids and I got out of the house. The walls were closing in; it was time to go! So we spent the morning running errands.

First stop: Advance Auto Parts. The van needed a new battery. In the last couple of months I have been stranded with kids in the school parking lot, my own driveway and garage, and, on Monday, Costco. The free installation took the sting out of the price. Lexi nursed while Frank installed the battery.

Second stop: Goodwill. Six bags, three lollipops, and one donation receipt later, we were outta there.

Third stop: Walmart. Last week Gavin poured my nearly-full gallon of carpet cleaning soap all over the kitchen floor. I need to clean my carpet. Also on the list: rubber gloves, yogurt, spaghetti sauce, and frozen hash browns. I forgot the hash browns.

Fourth stop: Home. I had forgotten my Costco card. Since we were home, I also grabbed a bib.

Fifth stop: Costco. I returned the plastic boxes I purchased the other day (re: broken) and picked up new ones, plus Marie Callender's chicken pot pies and cheese. Then we all ate pizza in the food court and contributed to the gross margin. Gavin was a mess of pizza sauce when he was finished; I was very glad for the bib.

...

After errands, the babies napped and I got to work. I cleaned out the fridge and the oven (baking soda rocks!), washed windows and tracks, and wiped down all of the kitchen cabinets and light fixtures. I wondered if the people who will soon tour our house will appreciate this attention to detail, or if I'm just creating extra work for myself. I sent some emails and talked a lot on the phone.

...

Garry talked to his boss today about keeping his job but transferring to a different office. The news wasn't especially encouraging, and all decisions on that front (as far as the higher-ups are concerned) will be delayed several weeks. Garry has begun to apply for work in other departments and has contacted colleagues in Arizona to aid in his search.

Without the "safety net" of the current job, I'm feeling a little anxious. The one thing we thought would be easy suddenly isn't easy. But the easy road isn't always the right road. God's plan isn't always simple. Fortunately I have lots of menial housework to occupy my hands while my heart and mind sort everything out!

10 comments:

spharfamily said...

This is what we went through when we moved from Oregon. Aaron didn't have a job and the house hadn't sold yet either. I was nervous too. But Aaron just kept telling me it was time to movve closer to family. Good Luck with everything.

Shaina said...

We just got a new battery for our van last weekend. Being stranded isn't fun..I know.
Sounds like a very productive day for you. I did two loads of laundry and made a cape. That's all I accomplished.

Grandma said...

Heidi, you always accomplish so much in a day. You are quite amazing! I wish I could work as fast as you.

Danielle said...

do you ever just sit on your couch, when you could be getting a million things done, and just do....nothing? :)

you continually amaze me with being so organized to get all that done with the kids-good luck with everything!

granny said...

Great things around the corner...I can just feel it. You get so much done...

Raegan said...

I would love to buy your house because it is so clean!!! However, I just bought one as you know so I am not in the market. But there are people out there who value the cleanliness factor!

Jen said...

And you still have time to blog every day? How do you do it??? (o: Congrats on the move - I hope the job situation gets settled soon. That will be nice to live close to family. We sure miss ours . . .

The Wizzle said...

Yes, the attention to detail will be worth it! I would definitely notice. Now you just have to figure out a way to keep it clean while you, um, live there, until someone buys it. :)

Colleen said...

Nothing like a day where you get to check off all kinds of to-dos! Sorry the job thing isn't cooperating for the time being, but I am sure it's going to work out just as it should!

Allison ~ Est 1970 said...

Heidi, I admired you and Garry's strong faith. I remember you saying how you moved to Beaverton because you felt prompted after he graduated. I remember when I first met you and thinking "wow", now that is faith. It is so scary making these huge life changes. But I have learned to trust my heart and Heavenly will provide. He will show you a way. I am thrilled you will be closer to your families. They should be close enough to enjoy those wonderful children of yours. They are growing up so fast. I love reading how your sweet family is doing. Miss you. Love, Allison

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share