Pages

Jan 23, 2010

Boys just want to have fun

Last summer, Garry and I realized that our days with the kids often ended on a sour note. It seemed someone was always crying at bedtime. In an effort to build our family relationships, we instituted "family fun time," which was a privilege the boys could enjoy with us before bed.

Originally we had family fun time every night, whether it was playing a game, reading a book, taking a walk, watching a show, making a treat, or something else exciting. When school started in the Fall, however, our busy sports schedule (and the boys' penchant for early rising) made us reserve family fun time for non-school nights only. The boys really look forward to the weekend now!

If I'm being honest, I should really refer to these activities as "Daddy fun time," because Garry nearly always leads the fun. I am usually putting Lexi to bed or decompressing in a quiet room far away. Tonight was no exception, although I was pretty curious about the giggles I heard downstairs.

Tonight Garry led the boys -- including Gavin, who usually goes to sleep before the fun begins -- in a series of exercises. Each of them arranged a blanket as an exercise mat, and Garry ran the video camera. I laughed hysterically when I watched the videos. I had visions of 1980's aerobics shows where women on three platforms demonstrated high, medium, and low-impact versions of the exercise routine.

Jumping Jacks



Burpees



Push-ups



Somersaults (Gavin only)



So tonight, family fun time filled the measure of its creation: everyone went to bed happy. Hooray!

11 comments:

The Reese's said...

I laughed so hard watching Gavin in these videos. He is very coordinated for his age!

The Wizzle said...

I keep wishing, in all seriousness, for a very large hamster wheel for my (imaginary) basement! It's really what everyone needs, isn't it?

Melanie said...

Fantastic!!

kendra said...

hillarious!

maynardmoments said...

Looks like a blast!

Michelle Rowe said...

This is so funny! Eli tries to do my exercise videos with me, but he's not quite so coordinated.

Colleen said...

Cute! And so funny. What a great daddy!

Emma said...

That was adorable and so funny! Great job Garry!

my4suns2 said...

How fun! What a great idea. I'm impressed with your computer-saavy-ness (yeah, just made that word up and probably spelled it wrong to boot!

Juliesh said...

Oh, how I needed a good laugh. Send Gavin to my house. We could use the entertainment. Priceless video. Thanks for sharing!

Grandma said...

I keep watching these and I chuckle everytime. They are so cute. It does remind me of the high, medium and low impact exercises a few years back. They are hilarious!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share