Pages

Jan 7, 2010

On finding joy

Today was a day that put my one and only 2010 resolution to the test. I was stressed out and emotional and fairly convinced that my meager mothering skills were no match for my two-year-old. I kept thinking, "How am I supposed to find joy in this?"

So I listened to a few Conference talks and some uplifting music...and started looking a little harder for the joy. Eventually I found it!

I found joy in a goofy boy who took great delight in his little sister's car seat. I laughed out loud, actually, and so did he. [Sidebar: notice the orange moving sticker on the side of the carseat. Pretty ironic, eh?]





I found joy in this messy face. It meant that Lexi enjoyed a biter biscuit in the high chair for a good long time -- so long that I had a peaceful shower and getting-ready experience. And her bed head cracks me up.




I found joy by sitting on the floor with my two little ones and attempting a picture. This is the best one we got.




I found joy when Tyler sat down for 20 minutes of reading after school and didn't emerge for an hour. He finished an entire Magic Tree House book in one sitting!




And I found joy when I discovered Zach's open scriptures on his bed. He decided this week that he ought to read from The Book of Mormon every day on his own. He started on Sunday and has read faithfully every night before bed. I am very impressed with this boy!





It's pretty amazing to find such things in the midst of Gavin disasters, baby blow-outs, and moving boxes. I'll keep looking and see what else I can find.

9 comments:

LittleG said...

...and the rest of us find joy in the fact that you're so successful in finding your own joy. It's catching!

The Wizzle said...

Oh, this is such a good day! We are living parallel lives in this regard, I think. I've had a good week too. We should be proud of ourselves!

Dan and Katie said...

Love it! Finding Joy is a great resolution!

girlygirl said...

Finding the joy--I love it! I think I should borrow this mantra from you! Good job Heidi!

Grandma said...

I just sent you an email and the first commandment was finding joy in the little things. I thought of you. Good job Zach for reading the scriptures on your own. I'm very proud of you. Tyler, you're such a great little reader. It makes me happy to see you enjoy reading. Gavin, you're a busy but adorable boy and Lexi you're a precious child of God. Heidi, you're a great mom and it's great to see you finding joy in the midst of the stress. Way to go Bartles clan!

granny said...

Loved it all but especially that last pic. Go Z.

Colleen said...

Wonderful! That's what it's all about.

maynardmoments said...

Way to go! I think that is a great resolution. It is sure to make life brighter.

Shannon said...

Thanks for being a good example to me. I will try to do the same with my little brood. It's hard to find the joy and blessings, but so worth it!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share