Pages

May 5, 2009

My freezer frenzy

Since I've had some requests for more information about my freezer meal extravaganza, I decided to compile it here. I am by no means an expert, and I haven't yet tasted anything I've frozen...so taking my word for it may be risking your health.

But hopefully not.

Here's a list of the recipes on my freezer "menu" (I still need to make the last three). The ones marked * are family recipes (if you're dying for them I'm happy to email), but I've linked to most of the rest that I found online. There are a few links I can't find already...I'm operating on fewer brain cells than usual.


Sweet & Sour Meatballs*
Lasagna*
Floating Tacos
Brown Bag Burritos
Chicken & Black Bean Taquitos
Chicken Enchiladas*
Chicken Pot Pie (a Betty Crocker recipe)
Chicken Delight*
Manicotti*
BBQ Pork (from a friend)
Shepherd's Pie
Taco Soup*
Chicken Parmesan
Beef Stroganoff
Sloppy Joes (used a mix and froze it)
Pizza Dough
Breakfast Muffins
Cornbread Muffins (a Betty Crocker recipe)


A friend sent me a fabulous resource called "Too Busy to Cook: A Busy Person's Approach to Cooking" by Lori Rogers. I tried (and failed) to find her stuff online, but this article summarizes the bits of wisdom I pulled from her book.

I also appreciated Lori's suggestion to develop a categorized grocery list. You know me and grocery shopping -- hate it!! -- and I dreaded this part. But I went through each recipe and put ingredients in categories like meat, dairy, produce, dry food, and canned goods. I also made sure to count how many disposable casserole dishes and freezer bags I needed. Shopping was a snap! I need to employ the list strategy more often.

When I started cooking Saturday morning, I browned all the hamburger at once, cooked all the chicken and turkey, shredded all the cheese, and chopped all the vegetables. Then it was just a matter of assembling the different recipes. I did all the beef recipes first, starting with the ones I was most familiar with and then moving to the ones I was trying for the first time. If something had to boil or simmer, I got started on the next recipe or next step of something else. And so it went (and went and went) until I was done. Pillar of efficiency that I am, it still took a looooong time.

I wouldn't recommend such an undertaking if you don't have help with your small children, but it would have been easy to divide up all the work I tackled on Saturday. If I hadn't felt a deadline looming, I would have done beef recipes one day and chicken on another. In the future, I'll just do a few recipes at a time instead of a dozen.

Hm...I think that's all. For those of you who asked, let me know if I left anything out! I'd love to hear of more recipes that freeze well, especially if they're pretty nutritious!

5 comments:

granny said...

Pillar of efficiency...well said. You are amazing.

angiedunn said...

what granny said.

Shanell said...

Even now I am envious of your writing ability. I envied it in Mr. Vetter's English class and I envy it now!

On to other notes...glad you are feeling better and survived your 30th. I say I am quite enjoying my 30th. Freezer meals are awesome! When ever I cook a casserole because it usually makes a 9x13 I will do two 8x8 and freeze one for later. LOVE it! You are super efficient. Love that you spent the day out of bed in the kitchen. Inspiring...

Grandma said...

I'm glad you're super prepared. That takes stress off now and later. Good job!

Lars said...

So you are saying that suggesting ice cream as a frozen meal is out?!
Just kidding.
You did great!
I do use a catagorized shopping list. I keep a desktop shortcut to my list in Excel.
Sometimes I just divide the list by store so when the list is long enough I make a trip, but I group items together by store section.
What a productive day!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share