Pages

May 7, 2009

If I don’t go into labor, at least the house will be clean.


People warned me that this would happen, but I didn’t believe.


I spent the entire month of April living in fear that if I got out of bed, the baby would come early and I’d have to live with guilt and a sick infant. So in bed I stayed, believing that once I hopped back out, the baby would come and a proverbial pat on the back would be mine.


It’s only been five days. This I know. But come on, little girl! I had more contractions six weeks ago than I’m having now! What’s it gonna take?


So today, in an attempt to make myself feel like I have ANY control over the situation (I’m fully aware that I do not), I made myself a list. If I get to the end of it without launching into labor, at least some of the undone chores that have been bothering me for a month will be done.


Finishing two or three things on this list ought to feel like an accomplishment, but really, the last one is the most important one to me.



The list:

Clean windows [check]

Wipe down inside of fridge [check]

Sweep and mop floor [check]

Touch up bathrooms [check]

Go grocery shopping [check]

Sweep garage [check]

Fix black pants [check]

De-clutter office [check]

Dust bedroom furniture [check]

Put away “transfer basket” items [check]

Iron Tyler's church pants [check]

Sweep off front porch [check]

Almost finish The Holy Secret [check]

Take a short nap [check] and wish it was a long one [check]

Watch Neighborhood Animals with Gavin [check]

Field half a dozen "Are you STILL pregnant?" questions at preschool pick-up [check]

Vacuum upstairs, downstairs, and the stairs [check]

Reheat leftovers for dinner [check]

Deliver a baby


6:00 p.m. post script:

Still no baby. Hardly a contraction, in fact. The house is very clean and my feet are very sore. Humph.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

These last few weeks are the hardest, especially when you are expecting an early arrival! At least you've got the list to check things off and help the time pass. And at least you don't have to sit in bed any longer! Hang in there...she will be here before you know it. And we are ready to be on duty!

Rebecca said...

I went through the same thing when I was on bedrest with Kyler. I was so happy to finally be up and moving at 37 weeks and then got super anxious to just have the baby already. My doctor took pity on me and finally induced the week before my due date.

Lars said...

Woohoo!

Just think how successful you are at getting close to term. It might distract you. No? Worth a shot.

girlygirl said...

Woah! You seriously got all of these done in ONE day and your pregnant to boot! You are amazing! I would be lucky to get 2or 3 of them done.

Grandma said...

Well at least you got some things done that you wanted to get done. She's just giving you an exercise in patience. She's got a mind of her own.

Trinette McCrary said...

Your almost there!! Hang in there. Try to make the best of it, I know it's hard, but it will only get harder-lol

JulSH said...

Have to admit...I've been checking your blog in high anticipation, every day.

Then, I got to thinking. Of course this little girl is going to come on HER OWN TIME. That's what girls do. They are in a hurry to be some place (read: preterm labor). However, they've got to get "beautiful" and that only happen in their own time frame. They have to prepare for their "entrance."

It's good preparation for your boys...they will be waiting for a woman...probably for the rest of their lives.

Schauers Hours said...

Ha ha, I love the dealing with "are you still pregnant" inquiries. As if you aren't more anxious than anyone else to not be.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share