Pages

May 19, 2009

Of toddlers and tubs

Tonight I'm feeling pretty grateful for my mom.

When I had a complete emotional breakdown last Wednesday, she arranged her life, booked a flight, and pledged to come help me, baby or no baby, for ten days.

She made life as smooth and wonderful as possible for my kids while we were in the hospital for Lexi's birth. Among other things, she handled a toddler with separation anxiety and a seven-year-old with the pukes.

Just today, she did all my laundry and dishes, took Tyler and Gavin to the preschool field trip, picked up Zachary from school, let me rest, and made dinner.

And then, as if her status wasn't unbelievably high, she proved herself as the mother of the year.

I was running a bath for Gavin and stepped out of the bathroom just long enough to tell my mom that Garry had called. In addition to his baseball coach meeting this evening, he had been summoned to work to deal with an emergency and would likely be late. I told her, "I'm glad you're here," thinking of how she could help with bathing and bedding down my four children.

Then I returned to the bathroom and experienced a parenting first.

Gavin had climbed into the tub...and pooped. Actually, it looked like about five people had pooped in that water. It was everywhere. The stench was overwhelming, as was the image of Gavin happily playing with all of his bath toys, obviously oblivious to the sewage floating around him.

I gagged and moaned, "Oh no!"

With Lexi in her arms, Granny came in to assess the situation, the nature of which she correctly guessed without a visual. I pulled Gavin out of the tub and turned on the fan. She let the water start to drain. And then we both backed away and started laughing. And gagging. But mostly laughing.

My stomach, still very prone to nausea, was rolling. As I hid in another room, I heard water sloshing around. A toilet flushed. My mom emerged from the bathroom taking deep breaths, and then she asked for cleaning supplies.

"You know why I'm going to clean this up for you, right?" she asked, rag in hand.
"Because you are a saint?" I said.
"No. Because someday, you just might have to clean up after me!"

We both roared with laughter, and the giggles didn't stop for a long time. (Neither did the smell, but even that made us laugh.)



So thanks, Mom, for being great. And hilarious. And one very talented tub-scrubber. I owe you one {million}.

17 comments:

The Crazy Girls said...

She is just beautiful! You amaze me with how fast you bounce back. Congratulations!

~Jennifer

Grandma said...

Hurray for Granny! She is amazing.

The Wizzle said...

Oh, man, I am really glad she was there too! No one could possibly handle that well alone.

(I have experienced the poop in the tub thing, in case you were wondering. It was baby poop, though, not toddler poop - whole different ballgame, really!)

Grandma said...

What a cute rear shot! I'd just like to hug him.

angiedunn said...

i can also testify that mom/granny is a saint. we miss her presence greatly in az.

granny said...

It was worth it just to have all the laughs. Every time I think about it, I am guaranteed to giggle.

Colleen said...

Oh, I have certainly had those tub poops! YUCK! I am SO glad you have your mom here and that she has been such a wonderful help and support. That's what moms are so great at, Mom love!

Trinette McCrary said...

Wow! You are one lucky lady.

Reynolds Family said...

Every one of my kids has done that-so gross! The only difference is that I had to clean it up. Wow, are you lucky or what?!

Danielle said...

hahaha! aren't moms the best?! I wonder if my mom would drive over and do that for me? hmm, probably not. :)

girlygirl said...

Oh - the poop-in-the tub scenario. Got to be one of my least favorites. That was so nice of your mom to help you out of that one! I love the picture - cute, little bums are my fave photo opp (much to the future chagrin of my offspring)!

Lars said...

Well, I think you set a record....for having 3 boys, as old as they are and never having experienced this before. I have girls and...yeah.

Wahoo for awesome moms. Both of you!

Unknown said...

It's great to have mom's that help. I remember all too well similar bath experiences. I am however not excited that you are still nauseous. I need some hope. :)

Carroll Conversations said...

That is one amazing mom! But we already knew that right? That's why there is one amazing Heidi! I'm so glad she is there and is such an incredible help.

jamie t. said...

Ewwwww! Poop in the tub is the worst. I am glad your mom is there to help. They are lifesavers. Congrats on the Angel!

joeyship said...

I think you owe her MORE THAN ONE! hahahaha We had a somewhat similar experience not so long ago. It's something you'll laugh about at family dinners for years, appropriate or not. Parenthood is certainly an adventure.

Shaina said...

That was a first for you? Man. It happens all the time when we have little ones. So nice to have someone else do the dirty work. It really does make you gag the entire time.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share