Pages

Jun 7, 2012

To make and to keep

Earlier this week I had the persistent thought that I needed to get to the temple.  I found a babysitter.  I tried to recruit friends to join me but ended up making the 50-mile journey alone.  My time in the temple was shorter than expected, and I left feeling a little disappointed.  I snapped this photo on my way out.


Tonight I am re-framing yesterday's temple experience.  I find I am profoundly grateful for the chance to serve in a temple of God.  No matter what turmoil I feel in my life, what questions I have, or what challenges I face, I can always find peace and strength in the temple.  It is such a sanctuary for me, and I find myself longing to sit within its walls.  Fifty miles seems a very easy distance when I am searching for comfort or for answers.

I love doing sacred work for my brothers and sisters who didn't have the opportunity to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ during their earthly lives.  Yesterday I did work for six women who were part of two families, including a mother and two of her daughters.  I wonder what they think of these ordinances.  Were they watching me in the temple yesterday?  Did they rejoice as their work was done?  Just as I have agency to choose what to believe, so do these women in the spirit world.  I don't know what they will choose, but I do know the joy I felt as I said their names and gave them the opportunity to accept the blessings I enjoy in my life every day.

The sacred covenants I have made in the temple are my most precious possessions.  They help me remember that I am a daughter of God, and have the potential for exaltation and eternal life.  I try to keep my covenants every day as I devote my life to raising my children, being faithful to my husband, sacrificing my time and energy to service, and obeying the commandments.  When I remember the divine purpose behind my ordinary life, I feel endowed with power to give more, do more, and be a better version of myself--the kind of person my Heavenly Father wants me to be.

I make mistakes.  I stumble and fall all the time, both physically and spiritually.  Sometimes I lose the vision of who I am and what I am supposed to be doing.  Life can be pretty tough.  So I am grateful--oh, so grateful--for the healing gift of Christ's Atonement.  His grace lifts me every day.  And I know that when He is guiding my path, my eyes always look up to the temple.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Powerful testimony Heidi. Thank you so much for sharing! I know your challenges are plenty tough...as they are for most people (mine are tough, too). Thanks for the reminder that we can do all things when we're focused on the Savior.

You're right about peace. The world offers lots of things, but no peace. Aren't we lucky to know where to turn!

Colleen said...

I love this! So true for all of us.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share