Pages

Jun 17, 2012

Church according to Gavin

We were "late" to church today (15 minutes early) and didn't get a seat in the chapel.  We sat in the first row of the overflow/gym, where the seats are hard and child containment is mostly impossible.  Gavin was restless, and interspersed with mauling me (read: sharing constant physical affection), he had a lot to say.

Gavin: Mom!  No one [meaning the deacons who were passing the sacrament] is coming to us!
Heidi: That's because we are sitting in the back.  They will come.
Gavin: They will go to them [pointing to ward members in a row closer to the front], then to them, then to them, then to them, then to them, then to them, then to them, then to them...and then they will finally come to us.
Heidi: Yep.  Hush.
...

Gavin: Mom! I want my sleeves rolled up like that guy's.
...

Gavin: Mom!  Do I have lines on my head?
Heidi: No.
Gavin: I guess only old people do.
...

Gavin: Mom! That guy [sitting directly behind us] has no hair!
Heidi: You are correct.  Some boys grow up and their hair falls out.  It will probably happen to you.
Gavin: Then I will try to look so cool.
...

Gavin: Know what hair is the BEST?  Smooth on top and spiky on the sides.  Can you cut my hair like that?
...

Gavin: Mom!  I just saw a guy in a purple shirt and a Mowhawk that blinked one eye.  Is this blinking two eyes?  Can you blink one eye?  That guy in the purple shirt can blink one eye.
...

Gavin: Mom!  I am always older than Lexi and Kate.  Always.
...

Gavin: Mom!  I just saw a person with sparkly big toes and pink small toes.
...

Gavin: Mom!  Kate is a fun baby.  That's why we love her.
...

And this, Gavin, is why we love you.

6 comments:

Mark Dixon said...

I love you, Gavin!

steph said...

how funny!! Much more entertaining than my meeting where our oldest wants to hold our youngest the entire time even when he is trying to throw himself out of her arms and is screaming. She then gets upset and starts to act like the baby instead of almost 8....
I love how observant Gavin is!

Lars said...

Love Gavin! So observant. So affectionate. He'll grow to be amazing like all your children when they channel all their special abilities into their talents.

granny said...

One of my favorite things about Gavin is that he is a people watcher.

Grandma said...

We love Gavin! He is so observant and so honest. He cracks me up.

Melanie said...

We still quote Gavin.

"Amen! Say it!!"

Thanks for continuing to document his fantastic view of the world!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share