Pages

Jul 30, 2009

Coping....I mean, camping

Since January, I have been fretting about being in charge of the ward camp-out.

Since April, I have been full-out worrying.

Since June, I have been growing an ulcer.

Since July, I have been hyperventilating.

{Note: This is not a good way to live.}

And now I am here to say that worrying, in all its stress-inducing forms, is highly overrated. Things have a way of working out.

The annual ward camp-out, held last weekend at the B-52 campground on the Air Force Academy Base, was great. The best parts? I wasn't in charge, and I didn't camp.

This is an odd combo for the ward activities director, right? Well, the bishopric had compassion for my poor nerves, and for my life with two babies. I created the advertising...


...and they did the rest, along with the fabulous Dale (the token member of my committee who was available - he also happens to be a retired gourmet chef).

Thanks to their efforts, the camp-out included a delectable feast of barbecue ribs and Dutch oven potatoes, pot-luck side dishes and desserts, and campfire singing. Children ran about, playing with rocks and dirt and exploring the trails. Adults visited. And a handful of families camped overnight.

My little family enjoyed the evening festivities, and then Garry shared a tent with Zachary and Tyler while I took the Littles home to sleep. What a glorious arrangement! When the guys got home Saturday morning, Garry was exhausted and the boys gave a rave review. Apparently the ward camp-out was what everyone expected this year!

Here are a few photos from Friday night, courtesy of the lovely Adri, who didn't know she'd have an assignment from the activities committee when she showed up. Thanks, friend!



Rocks and dirt and sticks seemed to provide lots of entertainment for these kids.

Girls have to stick together.


This girl likes to stick to me.

I am definitely a fan of these girls - and everyone who came to the camp-out!


Hearing our Bishop and Brother Bair sing "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash
was truly a highlight of the evening!


After exhausting her camp song repertoire, Sister Jack took requests.
I suggested Old MacDonald, which is Gavin's favorite. It was a hit.
After that the Bishop asked if anyone had a scary story to share.
I offered to tell about my day (similar to this one), but people just laughed -- no one wanted to hear it!


I think Brother Bair had the right idea at the end of the day!

Thanks to all who made the camp-out a success. It wouldn't have happened without you!

10 comments:

Shaina said...

All that worry and everything was just great! It was a fun evening, even if we did lose a child or two for a while.

Dan and Katie said...

It was so fun!!! You shouldn't worry so much - easier said than done :)

granny said...

Things do have a way of working out. It looks like a fun evening. I'm happy to see the pictures!

The Wizzle said...

Things really do have a way of working out. That said, I would have been freaking out over being in charge too. I'm so glad you were able to mostly delegate - and go home and SLEEP with the babies! Taking a baby camping seems to be to be the height of ridiculousness. Preschoolers and up, yes. Babies, NO!

Colleen said...

It was a success! And no rain! And now a nice...long...break. Well, not too long I hope, because when that next activity rolls around it means this pregnancy will be over!

Grandma said...

Hurray for happy endings!

Trinette McCrary said...

Silly girl, but I understand completely. It was a fun actvity, you did a great job. The only bummer was the trains and traffic I heard all night long-ugh, no sleep.

Lars said...

Happy to hear the happy ending. I'm now on our committee. Our committee chair is due to have her baby 14 days before our latest ward campout date (everything moved around due to the new temple celebration & open house..not complaining). We met last night and most of the committee can't make it to the "free" camp site 1 1/2 away on those dates....there's a community campout the same night. So...I'm thrilled to hear yours was a raving success and you got to sleep at home.

girlygirl said...

Cute and fun! Glad you got a reprieve from the stress-inducing duties!

my4suns2 said...

Okay, hear me crying from Texas about missing out on that! It looks like so much fun and I miss seeing all of your sweet faces.:)

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share