Pages

Jul 24, 2009

Dear Barbara

Dear Barbara,

When you woke up this morning, I'm sure you didn't plan to rescue me. After all, we were strangers until about 3:30 p.m.

We met in the check-out lane at Walmart. My cart was two ahead of yours, full of a baby car seat, a screaming toddler, and a pile of junk food for the ward camp-out and an upcoming road trip. My "helpful" older children put our stuff on the conveyor belt, and as the cookies and bagels and crackers and juice (plus a backpack and a bicycle helmet) inched toward the register, I rummaged in my purse for the magic card that would pay for it all.

As my children put on an act from a supermarket horror show, you were probably musing silently about weekend plans or wondering what was taking so long up ahead.

Up ahead, I had just discovered I didn't have my wallet.

Earlier in the day, I had made an online purchase -- a bottle of cod liver oil capsules that are supposed to make my brain work better. Ironically, that brain-promoting purchase was the reason that my wallet was sitting next to the computer, rather than in its spot in my purse, when I needed to pay for groceries.

You had no way of knowing I had already had "a day." Or "a week," or "a month," or quite possibly, "a year." You were blissfully unaware of the violent emotional struggle I was having at that moment, two carts ahead of you. My rational self knew that abandoning my cart and coming back to Walmart later was not, in fact, the end of the world. But it kind of felt like it.

While I decided what to do, the family in line between us checked out. Once they went on their merry way, I told the cashier that I could pay for my things with a check, but that I didn't have ID. In her very broken English, she declined that proposal. She suggested I withdraw cash from the ATM, but I reminded her that I didn't have my wallet. She stared back blankly. I was getting ready to leave. Snacks for the camp-out (in two hours) would have to wait. I would come back another time...or not at all.

That's when you stepped up and offered to pay for my groceries.

Barbara, I cannot tell you what your gesture meant to me at that moment in time. While I kindly argued that I actually had money, just not cash, a credit card, or a driver's license, you insisted that you could buy whatever I needed. Eventually, being as desperate as I was, I agreed to let you help me. And you did. You wrote a check to Walmart for $83.48 and showed the cashier your ID. And I wrote you a check, giving you only my word that my account would cover the cost.

In response to my profuse expressions of thanks, you said simply, "I have been where you are. I had six boys." Even though you have obviously been a grandma for a long time, I could tell you haven't forgotten the struggle!

Today you restored my faith in humanity. You reminded me that there are good, generous, kind, and loving people in the world, and that service doesn't have to wait until the bonds of friendship are formed.

Thank you for sharing your love with a stranger today. I will be sure to pass it on.

With gratitude,

Heidi

15 comments:

Emily Moffat said...

I had had things like this happen to me too - nothing this dramatic though. That is an amazing story.

Thanks, Barbara, for taking care of my sister!

The Wizzle said...

And, that was actually me. Apparently my (other) sister was using my laptop last! :)

Emma said...

That is such a cool story! Way to go Barbara.

D said...

That actually made me tear up. And makes me want to (and hope that I will) do something for someone in their time of need. God bless Barbara.

Lars said...

Just outright crying here. Angels among us. Our Father certainly does love us.

“God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another mortal that he meets our needs." President Spencer W. Kimball

Jeff and Lori said...

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said your day could be a scary story. Except this one has a nice warm fuzzy ending, my favorite kind. I hope I have the presence of mind someday to follow Barbara's example.

granny said...

I'm thinking about you tonight/tomorrow with the activity that can't be named. And thank you Barbara for the rescue...thank you, thank you, thank you.

Adri said...

Oh, Heidi! Seriously? That is one happy ending! Let's just send this Barbara lady a box of chocolates!

Kristy E.B. said...

What a nice lady. It's always nice to learn that there ARE lots of nice people and good things that go on in the world everyday!

Unknown said...

Now that is what living and giving is all about!!!! Wow, what a lesson for your boys to see!!!
that is wonderful and I have goosebumps!!!
take care

Been there done that too! :)
P.s. Always leaving my wallet by the computer, wonder if they can make two of everything huh? LOL

Grandma said...

What a wonderful story and a wonderful lady. Thanks Barbara! Good luck with the ward party.

Vicki said...

There really are good people out there!! What a sweet and kind lady! That makes me want to be a better person!

Shannon said...

I have TOTALLY been there and I know your mental struggle at that moment when you realized you'd have to come back (maybe!). How awesome that someone there stepped in to help. I hope I might be as compassionate to someone in need as your angel was for you.

hillari said...

I'm so glad someone helped you out! Reminds us all to be aware of others around us. Very cool lady.

my4suns2 said...

Wow! What a wonderful woman. I always feel like people forget what it's like to have several screaming children at a supermarket and things are chaotic (usually because they are giving me the evil eye or commenting on how many children I have). It's so refreshing to hear about someone actually lending a hand!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share