Pages

Sep 3, 2009

Reflections on ironing

While Garry was potty-training upstairs, I turned on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban downstairs and caught up on ironing. I can't say that ironing is my favorite thing to do, but I really don't mind it at all (especially when I have a movie or a friend on the phone to entertain me).

Some of the things I ironed today were super wrinkly because I neglected to fold the laundry for two days after washing it. But today even the most stubborn creases didn't bother me. I liked making order out of the chaos, one shirt or pair of pants at a time. Hanging the items in a neat little (long) row was pretty satisfying, too.

About half the batch.

I made the observation that when Zachary was Gavin's age, I really liked little-boy button-down shirts. This week I opened a box of hand-me-down clothes for the new season, and out came a big pile of plaid button-down shirts. I must have had more time for ironing back then. Also in the box was a church outfit I can't wait for Gavin to wear. That was a fun find, and especially fun to iron.

{Sidebar: Garry is whooping and hollering upstairs at Gavin's latest toilet victory. Flush!}

Another observation: The $1.00 Target spray bottles that I love so much don't last very long. I haven't found a style I like better, functionality-wise, but I find myself buying them two at a time so that when one breaks, I have a spare. (The bottles don't always survive a fall, but I'm a klutz and drop often.) Today they are both broken. It wasn't worth interrupting my movie to make a trip to Target, so I used the built-in sprayer on the iron. I survived. But I'm hoping Target has a pink bottle when I go back for another one (or five).

Whenever I iron, I also think about my mother and my grandmother, who have passed on a legacy of ironing. I started ironing my dad's shirts when I was about nine. As a teenager, I frequently came home from school on Fridays to find "Iron 10" on the job board. After Garry and I were married, it didn't take long to convince him that creases in his pants and on his shirt sleeves looked spiffy, and that spiffy was the new cool. (I know, I'm a dork.) My boys have already asked when they have to learn to iron. It'll still be a few years. But believe me, they'll learn.

I'm just not sure if their wives will thank me for it.

9 comments:

Emmy Z. said...

I'm amazed at how many people don't iron these days. I'm a fan of properly-creased clothes, so I always iron my button-down shirts and such. What I've noticed about Adam's clothes, though, is that they don't need to be ironed almost EVER. Seriously. When will they start making women's clothes like that??

The Wizzle said...

Their wives will definitely thank them. I thank Claudia every time David irons his own darn clothes, which is pretty much every time. I iron my stuff and the kids', and once in awhile I do a few for him because I love him. But mostly he irons his own. So shout out to your mom for teaching her boys to iron, and a shout out to you for carrying on the tradition!

Unknown said...

I agree their wives will thank you. I was going to tackle some more ironing today, but I barely made it doing wash, maybe tomorrow. Or could I just send my ironing to you? :)

Kate said...

Troy irons, and I'm glad! ;)

granny said...

Iron 10? Was I really that mean? Haha, I am remembering Iron 3, 5 or 6. I don't have as much ironing right now, and I love that, but I miss all the bodies that produced it! Eric has been known to steal my squirt bottle...he irons his shirts too. Be still my heart.

Grandma said...

Way to go Heidi! Garry always looks nice. Thanks for taking care of him.

girlygirl said...

Collin is an expert ironer, and laundry folder. I have relegated him to this task as it is one of my least favorites (along with the laundry. I still do some laundry, but he folds. It is a trade-off since I like to mow and he doesn't. :)

Shannon said...

Holy cow, I would LOVE it if Jason did his own ironing. Or actually, HE would love it. It's the one thing I hate doing and consequently never do. Poor, neglected hubby. I actually pulled out the ironing board the other day to iron a shirt of mine and my 4 year old came up to me and said, "Momma, what's that?" That tells you how much I iron!

Trinette McCrary said...

I hate ironing-where is my iron again? Good for you.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share