Pages

Sep 23, 2009

I've already tried screaming into a pillow

Before Garry and the boys left this morning, Gavin colored on himself, his clothes, and his sheets with a marker; soaked a roll of toilet paper in the sink; tripped over my foot and split his lip; and suffered poopy diaper leakage in his pajamas. That sort of set the tone for the day.

Zachary and Tyler were late for school.

I learned that the two gallons of milk I bought at Costco yesterday (with four kids in tow) sat out on the counter all night.

Gavin ran off with my shoes, one of which I still cannot find (at 6:09 p.m.).

I pinched my finger in the swing harness, which is the same finger I stabbed with a fork on Saturday and subsequently became infected.

The printer jammed when I was trying to print a photo to take to the guy cutting my hair.

I got a haircut I'm not sure I like.

Lexi bit me while nursing.

Gavin fell asleep during kindergarten pick-up, making his real nap FAR less than long enough.

Three seconds after he got in the van after school, Tyler yelled at me for not arranging a play date for him.

Having a belt holding the refrigerator closed is extremely annoying.

The thermometer hovered under 40 degrees today, but Gavin wanted to play outside. He bundled up, went outside for three seconds, then screamed to come back in. (Repeated 16 times.)

I attempted to rearrange closets (we are doing yet another room switch this weekend) and got so overwhelmed I had to quit.

I attempted to take a nap (and even said a prayer that kids would sleep longer so I could), but they were both crying within five minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

I attempted to fold and iron laundry, but Gavin kept unfolding and unplugging, so I quit.

While folding laundry, I discovered two clothing items whose awful stains I didn't catch before washing.

Gavin stepped on my open scriptures and ripped a page. He ran off with the marking crayons and two are missing.

Gavin is so scared of the vacuum he won't go downstairs.

Lexi might be cutting a tooth. (Use your imagination.)

Zach and Tyler both had games scheduled for tonight. I made sack dinners for everyone. Zach f-i-n-a-l-l-y got ready and left with Garry for the football game. Tyler's coach called and canceled the soccer game. Tyler was devastated (I was elated). Tyler screamed about eating his sack dinner at home.
.
.
.

So I'm done. I'm punching out. Shift over.

{This post might only be up for an hour, but I had to get it all out. I'm venting. It's been a bad day. Tomorrow has got to be better.}

13 comments:

maynardmoments said...

Oh my goodness! What a day. I was ripping my hair out just imagining it all.
Don't worry about venting posts. I have learned that people stop reading blogs that are all sparkles and sunshine, because THEY AREN'T REAL LIFE, and it is annoying. I have erased a few venting posts myself, but now I wish I had them, because it would be fun to read, a few years after the fact. We like reading blogs that make us feel normal. And you, my dear, are normal. No worries.
I will pray that tomorrow is a better day for you.

Lars said...

Definitely an "Alexander" day.

"And it came to pass."

Shaina said...

What a terrible day. It's ok. You can say it. Nobody thinks any less of you. If anything, you are beyond normal, and beyond amazing at dealing with all the crap we, as mothers, go through.

I really hope tomorrow is a fantastic day for you!! Treat yourself to something yummy.

The Wizzle said...

Oh, ugh. Days like this SUCK, there is no two ways about it. We all know it, we all have them. Don't take it down because later you will probably remember even days like this fondly. This is our life (sometimes), just like the awesome days.

When you have the stamina to formulate a sentence, I would love to hear about the room switching! As you know, this is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I have a perverse interest in other people's thoughts on the matter.

Sending you a hug. I Hope you get to decompress tonight one way or the other.

Reynolds Family said...

So sorry-we call those "Alexander" days at our house.

granny said...

Hope you sleep soundly and long tonight.

Grandma said...

Wow, it sounds like a rough one. My day was somewhat like that at school. I'm still training 3rd graders that act like they're two.

Colleen said...

I'm with you girl. Ug.

Carroll Conversations said...

Yes, I really don't see making lemonade out of that day! I do hope today is much better. Thinking of you!

Melissa said...

You should ask for a raise. And you shouldn't erase this post, you might need it as evidence one day. Just in case. But really, you're going straight to the top for enduring so well:)

my4suns2 said...

On days like these I try to remind myself what it's all about - easier said than done. Like tonight after day four of Dan being gone I'm going to read the "Mothers Who Know" talk and try and memorize the part about having an eternal perspective and children are our "greatest jewels". Yeah, that's gonna take some convincing for me tonight, don't know about you! HA!

Shannon said...

Man, I can't count how many days I've had like that. Sometimes it's more than one in a row! It's SOOOO nice to know we're not alone (even though we feel that way when we're in the middle of it all). Keep your chin up, girl! We can do this, right? Right? Right?

JulSH said...

Let it out, girl!!! Venting is a good thing! This reminds me of SO many of my days when Jenna was little. Tough stuff. It's why I always had that crazy look in my eye. ;0)
Hang in there.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share