Pages

Sep 14, 2009

Churchy conversations

Before church

Dad: Tyler, will you go find some black socks for you and Gavin to wear to church?

Tyler: OK.

Dad: Why did you bring me tan socks for Gavin? I asked for black. You brought black for yourself.

Tyler: I looked for black, but all I could find were tan, white, white with gray heels and toes, and old navy blue!

Dad: (stifling laughter) There's a store called Old Navy, but this pair is actually just navy blue.

Tyler: Really??? That's weird!

.......

After church


Mom: Tyler, tell me what you learned at church today.

Tyler: We played a game that was a crossword puzzle and the teacher gave us clues for each word.

Mom: What were some of the words?

Tyler: Hmm....prayer, rejoice, some other words.

Mom: What was the clue for "rejoice"? That's a cool word.

Tyler: Alma and the sons of Mosiah were missionaries, and they came back together and rejoiced because they were still brethren in the Lord. (He actually used that phrase!)

Mom: (Feeling proud of her son's scriptural knowledge) That's a great story! So can you tell me what "rejoice" actually means?

Tyler: It would be like if it was Sunday and we finished all of our jobs, and you actually let us play with friends. We would rejoice!

.......

The day after church

This isn't so much of a conversation, but rather a story that needs to preserved...

Over breakfast this morning, as is our tradition, I was reading aloud to Zachary, Tyler, and Gavin from the Book of Mormon. Zach was kicking the table, Tyler was making farting noises with his mouth, and Gavin was banging his spoon on his tray. Mosiah 23 was apparently not stimulating enough for the younger set. Gavin expressed his disapproval by throwing his bowl of milk at my head, splatting the pages of my new scriptures with milk droplets.

I took comfort in the verses I read a moment later:

(21) Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.
(22) Nevertheless -- whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day.

The moral of the story: My patience has officially been tried, but I'm still trying! I look forward to being lifted up at the last day, should I survive the days between now and then...

12 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Yes, he seeth fit to chasten his people all right. Every stinking day. I'm still laughing at the various...activities taking place during scripture reading! Devlin is very attentive at our house, but Eve mostly dances in circles around us, and Iris...we just be sure to have Iris in bed before we start!

rachbechep said...

old navy blue... :)

yvonne enger said...

So funny you are a very neat mom. I love what Tyler said. Sure miss him in class, he was so funny, but, also he did listen, and knew most of the answers. Please say hi to him for me, thanks.

maynardmoments said...

LOL!

granny said...

All I can say is read Ryan's letter of today....paydays do come. And keep trying.

Colleen said...

I love kidspeak! They say such funny things. I know my boys are on board with Tyler's rejoicing, if we ever let them go out to play with friends on Sundays too. And you will survive!! The question of how many gray hairs we will have in the end is really the bigger one.

girlygirl said...

so funny! :)

Adri said...

I'm impressed that Tyler remembered so much from Sharing Time! Yeah for him!

Dan and Katie said...

Old navy...I'm going to start calling it that now. But he's right, it is wierd :)

The Crazy Girls said...

So cute! And Isabel Winnie:)

The Hadley Family said...

You're kids are going to LOVE reading all this fun stuff when they grow up. :D

Grandma said...

Oh Tyler, my adorable little conversationalist. He's quite the thinker. I love his little brain! Hang in there. These adorable children will grow up and like your mom said, paydays really do come. I know you've already had lots, but lots are more to come.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share