Pages

Sep 15, 2009

Lessons from the laundry pile

OK, so I know I post about laundry too often. I seem to do it a lot. (Laundry, that is.)

But today (laundry day) I have made some decisions that feel noteworthy.

One: I will never buy Zachary a white t-shirt again. He is my messiest child! Wearing white is asking for disaster.

Two: I am done with flat sheets on little boy beds. Why fight it? The boys won't pull up the flat sheet when they "make" their beds in the morning. The sheet is crumpled in a wad at the foot of the bed, either under or on top of the comforter. Today I am washing sheets and remaking beds with fitted sheets only. (Except for my bed. As my mom would say, I have learned to be civilized in my old age.)

Three: Tyler needs new socks.

Four: I still love washing and folding pink and flowers and ruffles.

Five: Taking boys to church is not for the faint of heart. No pens will be allowed on our pew anymore. I am tired of drawings showing up on size 8 slacks and shirt sleeves. However, I am very proud of the khaki hem job I mustered a few weeks ago.

Six: Dawn dish soap is my newest, favoritest stain remover. It is especially excellent for bodily fluids. I'm so glad I have a friend with a PhD in stain removal.

Now that I have emptied my brain of such silly information, it is time to empty the washing machine. The white load is next. Exciting, no?

14 comments:

Shaina said...

I seem to revolve around laundry as well. I got rid of top sheets LONG ago. I hate them. My oldest is my messiest eater as well.

granny said...

I am glad you are civilized. You may be my only child that has embraced the top sheet.

I like folding little ruffles too. Still.

Boys always need new socks.

Thanks for the tip on Dawn. I'll give her a try.

Oh, and Zach must be related to his uncle that is now part Croat. And I think he does much better now, if that is any comfort.

Carroll Conversations said...

What? No top sheet? I didn't know that was an option. All these years of making beds. Hmmm? Although, Hailey has been my only sheet crumpler and in the last months she's actually gotten better. I guess I can't justify taking them off now. Kudos to you for not fighting it. =)

Shannon said...

You've lasted WAY longer than I have with the top sheet, so Kudos to you! I also have a messy child that only gets dark colored shirts or at least with something busy on the front that covers any stains I miss!

Vicki said...

I'm with you on the white shirts and flat sheets!!

Melissa said...

I just love reading your posts (thought I should finally let you know)! You always make me laugh.

girlygirl said...

Phew, I thought I was the only one with kid-crumpled top sheets! But I still put it on anyway--something about "civilized" I think. :)

Lyon Pride said...

I took the comforters off the boys beds this summer. I got tired of washing them. Maybe when it actually gets cold enough for the comforters I'll forgo the top sheet, too. (Who knew you would get so many comments about laundry!)

♥Tami said...

I also love Dawn soap for stains! In fact it is the only stain pre treater I own!
I love reading your blog, you write so well! And it's always what we are all thinking about so it hits close to home!

Julz said...

I always turn top sheets into the curtains for the kids rooms.

The Wizzle said...

Ha, I haven't given up on top sheets yet, but that's mostly because Dev is pretty tidy and Eve usually sleeps on top of all her bedding! Fine with me!

Worse still than white shirts are light-colored (baby pink, I'm looking at YOU) that show every stain but cannot be bleached. Grrr.

Maybe I need to try Dawn for those situations...:)

GinaJ said...

Yep, liquid dish soap rocks. And I still do the flat sheet thing. Not because they are neat and tidy, but in between the crumpled days, they DO get used at night.

Colleen said...

Maybe it's the name...our Zach is our messiest kid too! Whenever I "forget" my no white shirts rule for him I always go, "What was I thinking?!" And I am with you on the sheets. I quit those about a year ago for the boys' beds and haven't looked back since! I will have to give liquid dish soap a try! I've never heard that one.

JulSH said...

I can live guilt free now! My boys have the same issue with the sheets. It was killing me to give up the flat sheet. I know it has a "purpose," but lately the only purpose has been to drive me cRAZY when the boys would leave it at the end of the bed.

Ah, the peace that comes in knowing you are not alone in laundry issues. Thanks Heidi...yet again you have saved my sanity!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share