Pages

Sep 21, 2009

The cookie lady

This is my friend Melanie (and me).


In addition to many other lovely qualities, Melanie is a prolific cookie-maker. Chocolate chip cookies seem to be her specialty. They are delicious, and my boys know it.

Melanie lives near my boys' school, so it often happens that I return a borrowed book or deliver pictures or arrive for some other random purpose in the afternoon when my van is full of kids. She always comes out to the van and gives them cookies when we arrive.

So Melanie has become "the cookie lady" to my kids. It's kind of embarrassing for me that they beg for cookies whenever we drive up, but she is awfully obliging. The cookies have become a tradition. Occasionally she'll send us home with a plate full.

Today Melanie came to my house for a minute. As she was standing in the doorway, Gavin ran up and said, "Cookie?" For some reason Melanie doesn't carry warm homemade cookies in her pockets, and Gavin was disappointed. To him, the face and the treat go together; location and circumstance are irrelevant.

But I'll bet that some time in the not-too-distant future, we'll all stop by and get cookies for the road. Maybe even one for each hand!

Melanie loves my kids, and I am grateful. I think she is a friend worth keeping! (And not just because of the cookies.)

10 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

Aw, how sweet. Good friends are hard to come by sometimes. I agree you have found a keeper and the cookies are just a bonus!

Colleen said...

Good friends are such a treasure...especially ones bearing cookies! Oh, and so are solutions to refigerator problems. Functional is not always attractive! At least it's a cute belt!

angiedunn said...

as i'm reading this post, chlo' comes up...and {very} enthusiastically proclaims,

"oh, i just can't wait to go see heidi. and her baby is baby 'rado. we go on a plane to see them & the other cousin-his name is gavin. and zach and tywer. and uncle 'rado! we go tomorrow & have a dance party."

my reply:

"sounds good!"

{ps: cute post}

LittleG said...

LOL! Love it Ang! Tell Chlo that "Uncle 'Rado" will gladly host a dance party for her any time she wants to visit. I'm sure that Gavin, Zach, and Tywer will be more than happy to shake their stuff all over the house with her too. See you tomorrow!

granny said...

Thanks to Melanie for being such a great friend. And thanks for the cute post, heidi. Cute pic.

Unknown said...

Such a cute picture. It's good to have such good friends. I loved the in and out. I'm glad you found some things that worked. The belt was great.

kendra said...

I want a cookie lady!!

The Hadley Family said...

How fun is that?! I want to be introduced. ;)

Johnson Family said...

Heidi.... crud! you probably don't even remember me, but I found you through facebook and then found your blog! Way to go techology!! Your family seems wonderful and did I read that you live in Colorado Springs now? Sounds beautiful!!
Just droppin' a line from one mom to another! It was good to see how good you are doing!

Grandma said...

I remember Melanie. She is a very sweet friend. Cookies are a great addition.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share