Pages

Aug 9, 2009

Wishing for ruby slippers

Whenever a family trip is over, I dread going home. It's not the being home that I dread so much, but rather the going. In this case, the 11 hours of driving with four small children and no anxious anticipation to fuel my patient riding. Since Garry drove every mile of our trip (both ways, actually), I just read and slept and stared out the window. Fascinating, really.

Garry and I kept our eyes peeled for the gas station near Price, UT where we had seen gas advertised for $1.99 a gallon. When we saw the station, however, we laughed out loud. It was closed, and clearly abandoned, but old, empty cars were parked at the fuel pumps anyway. It seemed like a scene staged for a movie...quite possibly a movie about the end of the world. I was too slow to grab the camera, but the image will always be in my mind.

Later, I resorted to taking pictures of the kids, mostly to keep Gavin happy. He was a goofball. He demanded a picture of Lexi. And then he threw a toy at me.



Lunch was at Taco Bell in Grand Junction. I find it amusing that some of my most prominent memories of our trip (and of my life as a mother, really) center around meals and bodily functions. This adventure had a little of both, and more of my manic laughter. Garry joined me this time; we weren't quite sure if we wanted to claim our children at the end of lunch, or if it would be wise for our children to claim us.

When we got to the ski resort section of our state, we were overwhelmed with the beauty of the forested hills against the blue sky and its white, puffy clouds. Once again, I attempted pictures. We didn't care quite enough about the grand scenery to stop the car.




I enjoyed texting with about five different people. I made some phone calls. I kept thinking, "Are we there yet?" Seriously, like I was three. I only uttered the words aloud a few times.

We finally coasted into Denver (70-ish miles north of our house) and hit a Friday-rush-hour parking lot. Awesome! Nevertheless, it was nice to be in familiar territory. I could tell Garry was getting the itch for home, too. The kids were falling apart. We both started giggling a bit.

Lexi's last straw fell 20 miles from home. Because traffic was slow, we pulled over and I fed her on an overpass. Gavin got a new diaper. The fresh air felt good for all. We pressed on. Finally, we were home.

We put the boys to work immediately; all of their pent-up energy went into unloading the van. Because we had snacked ourselves to death all day, we weren't ready for dinner, so the boys played and I took advantage of the daylight and cleaned out the van. Gavin reached the back seat before I emptied it of trash. He dumped a cup of root beer all over the seat. Ten minutes later he had a massive diaper blow-out. This child....!

We were ready for the day to end, so Garry fed Gavin a sandwich and got him ready for bed. Garry swung Gavin up on his back for a ride down to his bedroom. When he swung him around to sit on the bed, Gavin cried out in pain. Something was hurting...maybe his wrist or his arm. Gavin continued crying and favored his arm; he wouldn't hold anything or use his hand. Garry brought him to me in a mild panic. We quickly concluded he'd take Gavin to urgent care, which closed in 20 minutes. We were certain that this misadventure should be happening to someone else.



Two hours later, Garry returned with a healthy, happy Gavin in his arms. The urgent care visit was nightmarish (can you imagine making Gavin hold still for an x-ray?), but there was good news at the end of it: no breaks or sprains. Gavin was acting normal by the time the visit ended, so all is well.

We are home, each of us in one piece. This is good.

7 comments:

Reynolds Family said...

Glad you guys made it here and back safely-oh the adventures of traveling with kids, huh? It would have been fun to see you-we'll have to plan something next time you're out here-I will not have a newborn then:)

Amanda said...

What a trip! I always dread the coming home craziness. My kids don't react well to packing or unpacking the car.

As for Gavin's arm--do you think it was "nurse-maid elbow"? Kallie had that happen twice. The first time, we went to the ER and they popped it back in. The second time, it was resolved by the time she got to urgent care. The Dr. said sometimes just putting them in the car seat will pop it back into place. Glad he's OK!

granny said...

Happy you are home safe and sound...there's no place like home.

Katy said...

Thanks for your recap of the trip home. Being from Littleton I reminisced about the many road trips between Provo and Colorado. Beautiful scenery. My favorite being Glenwood canyon. But there is nothing like making it to C470 when the mountains part for the last time and you can sigh that the trip is almost over. Thanks for the reminder. Sorry your trip wasn't all you hoped it would be. Hopefully we'll have better luck. We head to SLC on Friday.

The Wizzle said...

Oh my goodness, I would love to comment on all your hilarious posts but I'm not going to because we just barely got home and unpacked ourselves! I feel really clean for the first time in a week, yeehaw.

Anyway, suffice it to say that we we so thrilled to see your family. Its so hard to get that many people all doing the same thing at the same time, and enjoying it. We had a much less stressful time once we separated (although the whole reason we went was to see all the family, and I am glad we did) so I hope you guys did too. Take it easy this week!

Adri said...

The last hour stretch is always the killer for us. This last time, we stopped twice from SLC to Denver, then had to swing by the airport to pick up Chad's car. Between the airport and home we stopped THREE TIMES! Really.

Grandma said...

I thought about you all day long. Glad you made it home. It's always the most comfortable place to be.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share