Pages

Aug 17, 2009

Back to school

This just in: the first day of school was awesome.

[Insert Mom's enormous sigh of relief. My only wish was that we didn't repeat last year's craziness. Check!]

Zachary and Tyler were awake and dressed before my eyelids creaked open this morning. Zach even made his own lunch. Our morning was pretty much business as usual -- spilled milk at breakfast, scripture reading interspersed with sibling rivalry, Gavin demanding "more" every five seconds -- so we even had time for photos in the front yard.





It's a good thing we had a few extra minutes, because some of the neighbor kids (who attend a different school and don't start until Wednesday) thought 7:55 a.m. was a good time to socialize. But eventually Zach and Tyler hopped into Dad's car and zoomed off for school.

Garry was kind enough to take pictures for me as Tyler got settled in his kindergarten classroom for the first time. He was comfortable right away. Garry said that many of the parents were teary-eyed, and that the teacher almost cried herself! Yikes...we aren't that way. Tyler has been excited for school for such a long time, and we were more than happy to see him embrace the adventure! Three cheers!





Ty was pretty nonchalant when I picked him up before lunch. It was as though he'd been going to kindergarten for ages...no big deal! He wanted to know what he could eat and when he could play -- and that was before getting in the van to go home. He even refused to help me make our traditional back-to-school chocolate chip cookies! (What does it say about me that his refusal to help with cookies made me more sad than sending him off to school?) I made them myself while Gavin napped, and I must say -- they are delicious.



It's pretty clear that Tyler will miss Zachary and the other neighborhood kids in the afternoons. We'll have to set up some afternoon play dates for him -- pronto! The second Zach walked in the door, he wanted to run out and play with his friends. So that's what happened! A few minutes later, Zach ran back in to stuff a cookie in his mouth...he wasn't even done chewing before he ran outside again.

It was a happy day.

11 comments:

granny said...

Awesome, awesome. I'm glad they liked school so well. Send some of those cookies through the screen, would you?

angiedunn said...

yay!!! i am soooo happy all is well & good.

you have stinking cute boys. i love them. give 'em a squeeze for me. (:

The Wizzle said...

That sounds, indeed, like a perfect day! Glad everything went off without a hitch. Enjoy your new life!

Trinette McCrary said...

Great back to school pictures. I wanted to reach into the computer and grab a cookie-yummy!!

Shaina said...

mmm. Cookies sound good. Maybe I'll make some today.
You've got some cute kids. Glad the first day went well.

yvonne enger said...

Tell Tyler his old primay teacher is very proud, yor kids are soooo cute, yummy cookies.

Grandma said...

What adorable grandsons I have! I'm so glad that their first day was awesome. By the way, those cookies look pretty tempting.

Rosemary T said...

Where has the summer gone??!!? Your kids are so cute. Lexi looks just like Zach.
You are an amazing mom. Just reading your blog wears me out :)

Lars said...

Yea! Success..

I think it says that you value time spent with your family more than the sentimentality of school milestones.:)

Unknown said...

You are so popular. :) Sounds like a success. I'm afraid I'll be a failure of a mom w/o chocolate chip cookies. Maybe she'll still love me. How is it to have just the two home?

Dan and Katie said...

Those cookies look awesome!!!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share