Pages

Aug 23, 2012

I climbed up the apple tree

When she was in my back yard a couple of weeks ago, my bridal shower co-conspirator offered to help me make applesauce.  My apple trees were loaded and she was confident that with a little assistance, I could do it.  I hedged for a while, but eventually decided that Nancy's kick in the pants might be for the best.  My kids LOVE applesauce, and I always hate seeing our trees' harvest go to waste.  So last Saturday during the boys' swim meet, Gavin and Lexi and I picked apples.





Yesterday I borrowed some equipment, and at 11:30 this morning I started making applesauce.

The apples looked all pretty and happy in the sink.


Then I started chopping, and I remembered why I haven't made applesauce for eight years.  It's so much work, especially with the little apples off my tree.  I had to cut out a lot of bad parts.

The next step was steaming the apples.  The house smelled fantastic, which was good motivation to keep going.



I didn't let the apples steam quite long enough the first time, but that realization didn't come until I tried running them through the sieve and they were too firm to mash.  So those went back in the pot.  I had two large stock pots going at once.  The process still took all afternoon.



Eventually I did churn out some applesauce.  I added cinnamon and sugar, and then bottled it up.  By 5:00 I had made 16 quarts.



My lovely friend Nancy processed the full jars for me because she's nice like that.

And now we have a little store of applesauce...but not nearly as much as I think we ought to have for the amount of effort I exerted.  Lesson learned.  Again.
...

The last time I made applesauce, Zach was three.  He helped.  I remember the experience being magical.  Am I forgetting a few details, or was 2004 just more magical?


7 comments:

Karie said...

Wow! Well done. And everything is more magical in memory--at least in my experience!

Have you tried making applesauce in the crockpot?

Grandma said...

Yea for you. That's great!

Emma said...

We made applesauce last year, and I loved it! I didn't make enough though. We have the same food mill - or whatever it is called.
Good job! Aren't you glad that's over!

Shaina said...

Food processor!!! It will change your life, and make you smile the next time you make applesauce!

Melanie said...

I don't think I accomplished anything of substance with a 3 yr old. Love the picture of Zach. You've always been the 'get-it-done' girl!

Colleen said...

Yum! That is an effort that will pay off hugely! Nice work.

Rob and Marseille said...

its much easier w/1 child helping. and...i didnt cut the bad parts out becuz i heard they use it for cider, why not apple sauce. also: pressurer cooker-much faster than boiling them all afternoon. i'd love your kitchen mill though- our hand crank takes awhile! and i never do applesauce w/o rob.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share