Pages

Nov 18, 2008

The Thankful Tree

This year we're lucky enough to spend Thanksgiving with my family in Mesa. I'm so excited! We're leaving on Saturday and staying for a week. I am really looking forward to sandals-n-short sleeves, the Turkey Trot, and spending time with my parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, some choice California family, and anyone else we get to meet!

We do have a little tradition that we couldn't leave behind, however, so we did it today. We made a Thankful Tree.


Tonight Garry planted a branch cut from one of our backyard trees in a pot of rocks. Then the family gathered around the table and covered paper leaves with the things that fill our hearts with gratitude. The boys wrote lots of their own things this year, and I filled in the gaps. Because we only had 13 leaves left over from last year, we wrote on both sides and still talked about other blessings when we were done. I taught the boys a little song about being thankful, and I'm sure the tune will replay in my head for days to come.


It's good to have a gratitude reminder now and then.

5 comments:

granny said...

I love this tradition.

maynardmoments said...

That's a cute idea. The tree is really cute too. You are all sorts of creative! Hope your trip is AWESOME!

Grandma said...

What a wonderful tradition. It's so important to be grateful! I'm grateful that all worked out with the calendars too! Have a fun trip with your fam.

Rosemary T said...

I love this idea! I might have to do one for myself.

Lars said...

Such a great, grateful tradition.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share