Pages

Nov 8, 2008

Addendum

Zachary's lesson in economics has a post script.

Late this afternoon we made a long-awaited trip to Target so Zach could spend all his birthday money (minus what he so generously donated to Mom & Dad's dating fund via the sweep pile) on a new Wii game. He had saved $47.19 for this purchase, which we figured would be enough for the $45 game.

However, when Zach breathlessly ran up to the display case, he was dismayed to discover that the game was not $45.00, but $49.99. Bummer. He looked at the sign, and then whined, "Aw, man!" I asked again how much money was burning a hole in his wallet. He told me. And he knew it wasn't enough. Just as we were about to walk away, a man standing near us said, "Here...I'll help you out."

And out of his wallet he pulled three dollar bills. Zach just stared at him. So did I. Was a random stranger really doing this? Zach wasn't sure whether to take the money, but the man obviously wanted to make him happy, so I gave him a little nod. I didn't even have to prompt a "thank you" from Zachary's lips. I added my own profuse thanks and we parted ways.

Experiences like this reinforce my faith in the human race. There are good people in the world...good people who are kind and generous and eager to meet the needs of their fellow men. That's not a lesson I planned to teach my son today, but I'm so glad he learned it.

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Thanks for sharing, I needed to hear that! It's nice to hear that there are still good people out there!

The Wizzle said...

That's such a great story! What a nice man I had someone in front of me in line at Jamba Juice pay for my entire order one time - just for no reason. The kids were with me and I was so glad they got to experience that too. There are good people int he world!

Kate said...

Curses on eyeliner. Your post may have caused a tiny tear or two to give me some make-up ala KISS. :) Thanks for the happy affirmation of the goodness that still exists in the world!

Grandma said...

How kind of that man. I'm sure Zach was surprised and you too. Duane told me about it this afternoon. How neat!

grandmagreat said...

Hi,
Becky got me set up with a google account and now I can make comments at times.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share