Pages

Oct 25, 2008

Granny to the rescue

Our week was made better and brighter with the presence of my dear mother (a.k.a. Granny).

I joked with my dad that I got a taste of what it would be like to have a live-in maid/nanny. I was only kidding a little bit. Granny seriously worked like the Energizer Bunny to transform our long-neglected house (bathrooms and laundry and ironing, oh my!), entertain the kids, feed the family, tend to the yard (summer blooms out, tulip bulbs in, leaves raked, porches swept), and make sure the upcoming Ninth Ward Halloween Carnival (yes, I'm in charge) will happen according to plan next Tuesday.


While she labored diligently, I napped and read and watched TV and generally lazed about. The best part is, Granny never made me feel guilty about it. She and Gavin got to know each other and he finally considered her a friend with his one-armed salute. Zachary and Tyler got fun bedtime stories every night, had 15 library books read to them, and got fun Halloween treats from the stash in Granny's suitcase. Zach also got to take two dozen birthday cupcakes to share with his classmates because Granny stayed up late Sunday night to finish them.

In short, our barely-functioning household got a huge, giant lift this week. And now that she's gone, it has a huge, giant void. But we're so glad she came.

Thanks a million, Granny. We miss you already.

7 comments:

granny said...

Ah, shucks, you made me cry. What a pleasure it was to be there! Give those kids my hugs and take it easy. I couldn't bear it if I didn't know I'd see you in a month. Lay on the couch!

granny said...

P.S. Tell Gavin not to forget me...

Mark Dixon said...

We're glad she could come, but also glad she came back home! Please hug your boys for me.

Grandma said...

I'm glad you were able to have a live in maid for the week. It sounds like she did a ton of work. I hope you got rejuvenated a little too!

kendra said...

What a great mom you have! I'm glad you got some good live-in help. Hopefully, you'll be feeling better before you know it. At least these next months will go fast with all the holidays. I'm glad you had a good break.

The Wizzle said...

We were only too happy to share her with you guys! I wish there was ore we could do for you. Granny is the best!

LittleG said...

Thanks so much Granny! You were definitely a lifesaver & we all very much enjoyed have you here with us!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share