Pages

Sep 14, 2008

Calling all activity ideas!

The news of the day is this: I have a new calling.

It's my third job in our new ward so far (at least I can give up the other two). I accepted the responsibilities of ward activities chairperson. So help me.

Basically this means that I'm in charge of planning every-other-month, large-scale activities for our entire church congregation. I have two functional committee members but I can draw on auxiliary organizations in the church as well. I have a decent budget. I'm not afraid to work. What I need are some fabulous ideas.

So, fair readers, I'm asking for your help. If you have ever been to a great social event (whether it was a Mormon function or not), I would LOVE to hear about it. If you have amazing advice for a Christmas-themed program, that would be especially helpful.

I've been told to expect about 150 people (moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas, teenagers, children, single adults) at each activity. In six weeks I have to entertain them at a fall carnival/Halloween shebang that has yet to be planned (which reminds me, I still need to reserve the building).

Any thoughts? Email me!

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Man, that's a hard calling. I did that for a couple of years and it wore me out. But it is really satisfying to see everybody have such a good time as a result of your hard work.
For Halloween, do a trunk or treat and chili cook-off. Standard stuff, but people always love it. I'll brainstorm for Christmas.

The Wizzle said...

Wow, I wish I could help. We were called very briefly as the activities committee chairpeople, and I was literally frozen with fear. Luckily, we "sold our house" and were hence delivered from the jaws of death without ever having to plan an activity. Whew!

Anyway, that wasn't very encouraging. Our ward doesn't do much but ur Elder's Quorum is fun so maybe I'll pick their brains...

Colleen said...

You are going to do a great job! I am not so great for the ideas, but I am here for any extra support you need. I ain't afraid of rollin' up my sleeves and gettin' my hands dirty!

GinaJ said...

I'm also a fan of the Halloween trunk-or-treat and chili cookoff idea. Our ward does it every year, and it would be a disappointment if they changed the format radically. In recent years, some carnival-style games were tried (cake walk, face painting, etc.), in addition to the usual food and treats. I could take it or leave it -- I would still go even without the bells and whistles.

angiedunn said...

okay...that's so a heidi calling. why? because it's a given you'll do an a-mazing job. exciting!

i was also going to suggest a chili cook off/trunk or treat. that was taylor park ward's thing & everyone loved it. um...i'll be thinking, my dear!

The Crazy Girls said...

Thank you so much for posting your lovely comment and post on our blog. We all loved it SO much. YOu may be the only one who does actually post one, but your really the only one we expected, and wanted to see! We miss you all tons here, and Isabel cries over the fact that you are so far away and cant pick her up for a playdate. Be sure to tell Zach that his best freind Izzy misses him like crazy, and Ty too! Have a great week. We miss you!

Holly said...

When i think of ward parties.. i think of the good 'ol Lyn Rae ward Thacker's col-de-sac Halloween carnivals. Classic.

Paul Dalton said...

Heidi,
I sent you an email.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share