Pages

Jun 20, 2008

Sleep talker

I thought a bit of humor would be nice to offset the drama of my last post.


Last night I fell asleep on the couch. Around 11:00 I woke up and had the following incoherent conversation with Garry (he transcribed it after the fact).

Heidi: “The Bare-en-soft is dorsal.”

Garry: “Huh?”

Heidi: “You know, the bear is soft….no the bear….no the…..it’s asleep (pointing to my arm).”

Garry: “You mean your arm is asleep (laughing…..more laughing)?”

Heidi: “Yes. Stop laughing! You know…the bear……never mind.”

Garry: More laughing.

Heidi: “What is so funny about that?! You know it’s happened several times in the last week. The window is missing and I turn to the bear and the fridge is gone. You know….I turn to the bear and the fridge is gone. What’s weird about that?”

Garry: Laughing hysterically….He tries his best to not wake the big boys, who are sleeping in the next room (and we have no doors).

Heidi: (Getting more and more frustrated...) “What is so funny?! Stop laughing!”

Garry: At this point he had to get up and walk away because he couldn't stop laughing and I was getting more and more angry that he was laughing. I was obviously totally out of it but there was no way he could make me understand that.

Then, suddenly, I got up and went to bed. End of conversation!

7 comments:

granny said...

Ah, yes, the famed dent/dixon sleep genes in true form. Do you add or multiply your teeth? (one of my famous one-liners.) Garry and Myron should get together sometime! They could have a few laughs. Actually the whole fam could probably contribute to the hilarity. I believe we are all afflicted. Only Eric now does most of his sleep talking in Mongolian!

Reynolds Family said...

So funny! Paul talks in his sleep too, but it's usually in Japanese and at an hour when I myself am too incoherent to write it down.

angiedunn said...

Oh Heidi. Something we definitely have in common. Pure hilarious. Be glad you don't walk, dance, offer food to houseguests in your sleep. 'Cause I do that...and it freaks me out.

Lars said...

Thanks for the great laugh!

You know what Steven Wright says, "My leg fell asleep. Great! Now I'll be up with it all night!"

Mark Dixon said...

This reminds me of the time many years ago when a still-half-asleep Claudia asked me, in a quite matter of fact voice, "Do you add or multiply your teeth?"

joeyship said...

Yup, the gene truly exists. We've all been known to spout some very interesting things while sleeping, but Daniel is our champion. But he has been know to wander in addition to talking. It has become a lot less frequent as he's gotten older, but we will keep the memories forever!

Jenelle said...

This was sooo funny! Thanks for sharing!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share