Pages

Apr 28, 2008

Running for my life

It's been a week since I joined the 12-week health challenge sponsored by angieinshape.blogspot.com. Being accountable to a community of women who are trying as hard as I am to make lifestyle changes has been very motivating, even though I only know two or three people that are participating! Anyway, I had a great week and decided to report my success.

Last week my goals were:
1. Exercise for at least 30 minutes, four times a week.
2. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
3. Cut out desserts.

I felt successful on all counts, even though I wasn't 100% strict. I allowed myself some sugar-free pie one night when I was celebrating my birthday with a friend, and I indulged in a few bites of ice cream pie when, again, I was celebrating with friends Saturday night. But overall, my body is thanking me for a more nutrient-rich diet and active lifestyle. I lost three pounds last week!

During my near-daily dates with the treadmill, I decided it's pretty funny that I still consider myself a runner. I always have and always will, but the reality is that I'm just a slow-jogging mama who's hard-pressed to break an 11-minute mile. If someone had told my high school self that I'd be ecstatic about a 10-minute mile at age 29, I probably would have gasped in horror. (After all, at 15 I could run nearly two miles in that time.) I'm certainly not the lean, mean running machine I used to be, but I'm still holding onto the dream of lifelong fitness -- whatever the pace.

Back when I was still pregnant with Gavin and overly optimistic about the adjustments ahead (little did I know that an interstate move would be factored into my three-kid transition), I registered to run the Hippie Chick Half-Marathon on May 10. In January I attempted running again, but when we decided to move, I completely abandoned my training efforts. Then, last month, when I realized I would still live here when the race occurred, I decided to do it anyway. The angieinshape challenge has only made me more excited, even though I haven't run more than four miles in a row since Easter 2007 - the day I found out Gavin was on his way. At that time I was running 20-25 miles a week, so maybe my body will remember it can do hard things! There might even be chocolate at the finish line...
Post a Comment

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share