Pages

Jan 26, 2012

To sleep or to learn?

Gavin is giving up on naps.  *sigh*

I know I have been totally spoiled with a child who has napped for four solid years, but I still grieve the loss.  Since I take a nap nearly every day, Gavin's new life plan will require a significant adjustment for me.  That said, Gavin and I have had some sweet one-on-one time while his sisters have napped this week.

One day we read books in my bed.  We took turns; I read a page, and then he read a page. Gavin was delighted with the quick progress we made through his BOB books.  Then he wanted to write letters on the whiteboard.  We started with words from his books.




Gavin has also decided he wants piano lessons.  I think he's pretty young for all of that, but while he is interested, we will pursue it!  Right now he is learning about the groupings of black keys and the numbers assigned to each of his fingers.


Earlier this month Gavin formally applied to our school district's Early Access program for kindergarten.  We had to create a portfolio of Gavin's abilities in several categories, plus write a letter and have his preschool teacher write a letter endorsing the decision.  We are hopeful that Gavin will be able to start kindergarten in the fall, which would be a year ahead of schedule, and that he will be able to attend the same school as Zach and Tyler. We won't likely have the district's decision for a month or two.  If it doesn't work out, that must mean that God has something better in store for our amazing little boy....and his mama, who is really missing her naps.

7 comments:

Reynolds Family said...

Not exactly on the subject of this post, but have you ever heard of the program, Let's Play Music? Asher has done it for the past two years and it is fantastic! Your kids would love it. They need to be 4 to start and it's a 3 year program. You'd be great teaching it too :)

Amanda said...

My 5 year old still takes naps. (Although she's starting to grow out of them.) I know I'm completely spoiled. And, my oldest took naps (or a 2 hour quiet time) on her bed until she started kindergarten. I would DEFINITELY be mourning the naps! And, I hope he gets into the program. It sounds like he's more than ready. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Oh, a sad time giving up naps! Iris is trying to do it too, and I am NOT ready. But bedtime is so drawn-out that it's starting to seem worth it...

I didn't know he was planning to go to kinder in the fall! I am very excited to hear if he gets in and how it all goes. :)

Shannon said...

Kudos to you for being such an attentive mama even when you're tired! Your nap time might just have to turn into "quiet" time for the both of you, which isn't quite as satisfying, but still a nice rest nonetheless.

kendra said...

wow! He is a smartie! I'm grieving for nap time too...

Colleen said...

I am hopeful that will work out for Gavin! I love those rare times I have one-on-one with one of my boys!! Sometimes it can seem like they are completely different people without having to compete for attention with a brother.

Melanie said...

Reading and piano? What a great boy!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share