Pages

Mar 31, 2011

Letters

Dear Mom,

Thank you for offering to buy me a new maternity dress for Women's Conference.

I can't find one a.n.y.w.h.e.r.e. But the gesture was lovely.

Love,

Your pregnant daughter

...

Dear Women's Conference committee,

I know there is a dress code for presenters. I realize your code includes a dress and heels. But since I am really struggling to find something appropriate, I'm wondering if I could wear a cute top and my best jeans. If I also wear pearls and mascara, this should work since I'm standing behind a podium.

Right?

Sincerely,

Someone you might regret asking to speak

...

Dear Motherhood Maternity sales associate,

You, at 17 or so, have no idea how much courage I had to muster to walk into your store today (to say nothing of bringing my loud and crazy children and giant double stroller). You also clearly have no idea what it feels like to be pregnant for the fifth time and to have the pressure of finding something fantastic to wear in front of hundreds of people on your 32nd birthday. Based on your attire, I'm guessing that clothing with sleeves and a modest neckline isn't a personal priority. Thank you for trying anyway. I know I probably shocked you to the core when, after trying on every dress your store carries, I left with just one and a promise to return it if I couldn't find the perfect cardigan to cover my shoulders.

Sincerely,

The annoying customer

...

Dear Chapel Hills Mall,

Since when did Old Navy go out of business?

Disgruntled

...

Dear Old Navy on Powers Boulevard,

Since when did you stop carrying maternity clothes? Pfffft.

Even more disgruntled

...

Dear JCPenney,

Your maternity selection is abysmal. Seriously....not even one dress or skirt? What is this world coming to? Do you think pregnant women only go to the park?

But thank you for the coupon that gave me 25% off the area rug I am buying for my birthday. But no thank you on the shipping charge.

Cautiously yours,

Still looking

...

Dear Kohl's,

I bought two maternity dresses from your establishment, but they both have problems for which solutions are not as simple as I expected. (Again with the sleeves and the modest neckline!) Even though I bought them for a great price, I will probably be returning them next time I feel like venturing to your part of town. I kept the receipt in a safe place for exactly this reason.

I still love you, Kohl's, but we might have to break up until I have a more reasonable figure. Right now you are just depressing.

Love your sales,

Bargain shopper

...

Dear reader,

If you are wondering, "Why don't you just take what you wear to church and wear it to Women's Conference?" I will tell you. I have only ever been pregnant in the winter, except for the first time, and let's get real: nothing that fit me then fits me now.

Just getting that out of the way,

The author

...

Dear body,

I try very hard to love you because I know I should. I am very grateful you are making such a nice home for our Littlest Missy right now, and that you haven't died in the process (it was a little sketchy there for a while, wasn't it?). However, the more angry letters I write to maternity clothing distributors, the more I realize it's not their fault that nothing fits. You are very oddly proportioned, even in a non-pregnant state, and you deserve a custom designer to outfit you. But since I can't afford that, I guess we're going to have to work extra hard to find something to wear to Women's Conference. I think we ought to downgrade our expectations from "fabulous" to "modest and not hideous." Deal?

Love (or trying to),

me

14 comments:

Lindsey L said...

Heidi, that stinks you are having such a hard time finding maternity clothes! I am right there with ya.

Old Navy in Chapel Hills moved across the street by Best Buy. I was shocked a few weeks ago too when I went to the Chapel Hills Mall just for ON!

Old Navy now only has their maternity clothes online, boo. Their selection is pretty abysmal.

Anyway, I will be praying you can find a nice dress for WC! Good luck in your search. :)

Anonymous said...

so you might think i am crazy for saying this but forever 21 just got a maternity line. it has some fun stuff. i bought the only pair of maternity jeans from there ($14) and wore them every single day for my entire 3rd trimester. if you are not close to a forever 21 and see something online that might work, call me and i'll ship it your way. also, have you looked at shabby apple maternity? i've heard they have some fun stuff. I say, go with jeans and pearls. two classics:).

Shaina said...

Did you try Gordmans? I'll be going there Saturday night, during priesthood session if you want to go!

kendra said...

Gap.com and Target... my entire pregnancy wardrobe with Ella came from there. Gap's expensive but it has good sales...if you can't wait, it's still worth the price becuase they are the best fitting maternity clothes I have EVER tried. They have great skirts and cardigans. Oh yeah - I pretty much wore a shade.com tank Every.Single.Day - why do maternity clothes designers WANT you to show much cleavage?!

Amanda said...

Have you heard of HalfTees? They are like Shade shirts, but only cover the top. I own 2 (bought when I was nursing) and ADORE them. You can get them online. Trying to find dressy maternity clothes is the worst! Good luck!

kendra said...

Oh and PS CONGRATULATIONS on the GIRL! A sister for Lexi... perfect!

granny said...

I'm still holding out for fabulous. We'll find it!

Shannon said...

I know you'd prefer to look fab on the outside, but guess what? You will look fabulous (no matter what you wear) during WC because of your awesome personality and the strength of your spirit. You are already fabulous, girl! I wish I could be there to hear you teach.

And, why not jeans and a great top? TV broadcasters do it!

Jeff and Lori said...

Heidi, you're clothes are always adorable,you're fashion sense perfect. You'll look fabulous! (and glowing! :) )

The Wizzle said...

Dang, I'm so bummed you're having a hard time. I want you to look and feel FABULOUS! I wish you were here, I would not rest until you had Just The Right Thing.

Colleen said...

Good luck! Finding clothes when you are pregnant is always hard, regardless of your body shape, because you aren't feeling great about how you look anyhow. But you are a beautiful woman, Heidi, with a wonderful smile and a fabulous laugh. I know you are going to look great/sound perfect for Women's Conference, and in the end, it is your message that will linger rather than what you wear, so if you have to go with the jeans, go for it! :) I was going to mention that the ON just moved down Academy a bit, but that's been covered.

maynardmoments said...

Oh, the woes of finding maternity clothes. I hear ya sister!!! This may sound lame, but I actually found some ADORABLE maternity dresses, that looked and fit great, at Ross. Truly.
Good luck in the search. I know you will be fantastic at Women's Conference. Good luck! Oh, and congrats on the girl. So fun for Lexi!

Rob and Marseille said...

if we were the same size I would totally share! Mine aren't getting any use.

Adri said...

If it makes you feel any better, I wrote a similar (although not nearly as entertaining) post about my own efforts in the maternity clothes section. It is horrible.

P.S. Old Navy moved into a building on Academy near Best Buy...but I don't know if they have maternity clothes. Good luck!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share