Pages

Mar 27, 2010

A taste of summer

Along with some fantastic memories, I brought several bags of lemons home from Arizona. My mom's back yard lemon tree was overloaded with fruit, and several out-of-town family members were the grateful recipients of the harvest.

It took a couple of days to recover from our trip and round up a juicer to borrow. (Thanks, Julie!) But on Thursday afternoon I turned my attention to the lemons -- all 104 of them!









With the frigid wind swirling snow through the air, I'm glad to have a bit of summer stored away! I am also looking forward to making this delicious-looking lemon dessert. The only ingredient I lack is...lemon zest. Isn't that funny?

9 comments:

Adri said...

Oh, jealousy! That looks divine. Yes, summer really does need to get a move-on, doesn't it!

Lars said...

Yes, that is very funny! I do things like that. Only with limes. Yea for citrus and Spring!

The Wizzle said...

Looks awesome! I love your mom's lemon tree. Can you pick any of the juiced lemons out of the garbage and get the zest?

Holly said...

I love lemons :)

Colleen said...

Yummy! The lemonade AND those bars. Listening to the freezing wind blowing makes summer seem so distant. {sigh} Did you toss all the lemons already so you had none to zest?

Jeff and Lori said...

Mmmm. I was craving lemons as well and made lemon bars yesterday! I probably shouldn't mention that we finished them off tonight, but that little bit of sunshine was worth it!

Adrianna said...

Did you put the rind through the juicer too?! Will that make it bitter? I've never done it, just curious... You know, we got a toaster oven for a wedding gift and I thought, 'What am I going to do with this?!' so I traded it in for a Juiceman. Do you think I use it? No. Maybe 5 times in 11 years... And then finally, last month, I bought a toaster oven. (Which I totally would have used WAY more.) Oh, the irony.

Johnson Family said...

My friend did the same thing you did with one exception. She also grated all the outsides of the lemons and froze all the "zest" for later. Try that next time.
christa

Carroll Conversations said...

Yummy! Oh the things to do with lemons. I'm always drooling over lemon stuff, since I rarely make it since the hubby doesn't like lemon stuff. Here's a few fabulous lemon recipes thought I'd share with you.
http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/lots-of-lemons/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LeighAnneWilkes+(Your+Homebased+Mom)

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share