Pages

Mar 13, 2010

Derby day

Today Zach participated in his first Pinewood Derby. What an exciting day for a cub scout!

Because Lexi had a fever and the Derby happened during Gavin's nap time, I stayed home with the little ones. I was sad to miss out on the excitement, but Garry properly documented the event. I'm sure I'll attend many more Pinewood Derbies in my lifetime between a houseful of boys and inevitable church service.





Garry and Zach labored diligently over his car this week (and I failed to get pictures). Together they fashioned a pretty slick skateboard, complete with underside decorations and grip tape. What a fun idea!

With such a sleek design, however, adding weight to Zach's vehicle was a problem. Garry thought of having a baby shoe (affixed with a rubber band) ride the skateboard. The shoe/skateboard combo weighed in perfectly, but was too tall for the digitized and automated racetrack, which had sensors and start gates. So they resorted to plan B: Allen wrenches. They looked a little silly, but functioned quite well!



Here begins one race (I love the row of onlookers at left)....



...and here ends another. Zach's skateboard is in the center lane in this photo.



Zach didn't win any prizes for speed this year, but he did earn second place in the "most original design" category. He already has design ideas for next year, both for speed and creativity. I am sure the Pinewood Derby will be a grand tradition for many years to come!



10 comments:

The Wizzle said...

I *love* that last picture! He looks so happy!

Johnson Family said...

What a creative design!! I have never seen anything so cute, and I have seen A LOT of cars between my son racing and me being a scout leader. Way to go!!! That smile at the end says it all!!
Christa
p.s. I think me and my double/triple chins are just going to make up and be friends!

Jason Reid said...

Great tuff - hope you all have many fun future derby's together

granny said...

What a great design idea! Love seeing him so happy.

Grandma said...

I love that picture of him at the end. He is such a cute boy. I think the smile says it all. Also dad, great job! Very creative. I loved it. Way to go Zach and Dad.

Shaina said...

It was actually pretty fun to watch...this being my first time too. I thought the skateboard idea was pretty clever!

maynardmoments said...

Very creative car! I went to numerous
Pinewood Derby's, and it never failed to be a great time.

Colleen said...

It was a very cool looking "car". Clever idea! Our Zach likes to do the design-over-function thing too. And hey! It's their car and they are happy so I am too! Nice job Zach!

Colleen said...

It was a very cool looking "car". Clever idea! Our Zach likes to do the design-over-function thing too. And hey! It's their car and they are happy so I am too! Nice job Zach!

rachbechep said...

love it! derbies are so much fun!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share