Pages

Mar 8, 2010

Ski Day!

When we decided to move from Oregon to Colorado, we made a "bucket list" of favorite things we HAD to do before we left. While our house was on the market, we spent our time checking things off the list. I'm happy to say we accomplished nearly every activity, and we made some fantastic memories in the process.

While we haven't formulated an official list of things we must do before leaving Colorado, Garry and I agreed that skiing had to happen -- at least for the boys. How could we leave these beautiful mountains without enjoying that activity once?

Saturday was the big day. Garry and the boys packed bags and loaded the car the night before, anxious with anticipation. They hit the road at 5:45 a.m. and traveled to Monarch Mountain, which is about a three-hour drive south and west of Colorado Springs. The roads were dry and clear, but there was plenty of snow on the mountain!




Zachary was a natural on his skis. Garry gave a few minutes of instruction and he was off. Tyler's learning curve was a little steeper, but he still did pretty well. He and Zachary had a blast all day long.




The day was surprisingly warm....no need for the extra layers they brought to bundle against the cold. Garry and the boys spent a lot of time waiting in line for the ski lift. Saturday was a really popular day for skiing!





Here are some video clips (that won't center for anything) from their day. I am totally impressed that Garry was able to teach and keep tabs on both boys, ski himself, and take video at the same time!


Zach skiing:


Tyler skiing:


Both boys skiing:



Garry and the boys stayed at Monarch Mountain until the ski lift closed at 4:00. They stopped for a pizza dinner in Canon City. The kitchen staff goofed on their order, so they came home with tons of extra pizza!




Zachary and Tyler fell asleep on the way home and went straight to bed when they arrived. As they stumbled from the car to their rooms, each of them stopped to give me a hug and an enthusiastic (yet groggy) re-cap of the day. I think it was a magical outing for everyone, and I'm thrilled they all came home in one piece.

We are hoping that Flagstaff, Arizona has ski resorts!

7 comments:

Shaina said...

Garry earns extra points by documenting everything. The last time Heath was with the boys and instructed to take pictures, (it was the father/son campout), all I got were pictures of the fire, scrambled eggs, and a box of doughnuts.
Sounds like a great day to be a Bartle Boy!

The Wizzle said...

Wow, that man of yours is quite the multitasker! Very impressive.

We totally have skiing in Flagstaff! I have only been once but I loved it. Next winter, it is on!

Colleen said...

What a grand adventure! You can tell is was a perfect day. I wad thinking the same thing as Shaina! Nice work on the photos and video Garry!

Grandma said...

Looks like it turned out to be an awesome day for all. Thanks Garry for the videos. It's so fun seeing it in action. They are both better skiers than grandma or grandpa, that's for sure. I think my skiing days are over. It scared me to death. I am not to adept at this wonderful fun sport that everyone else seems to think is so terrific. I'm proud of the boys. Thanks for sharing.

Carroll Conversations said...

Great job boys! Garry, you're such a good patient father. I'm sure it was no easy task. Over spring break I'm contemplating taking my kiddos up the mountain, but it would be by myself. . .still thinking about it. =) We'll see. I'm sure you'll be enjoying Flagstaff's ski resort. Pinetop, AZ also has a great resort, but I think Flagstaff will be closer for you.

granny said...

Thanks for the great video. What a grand adventure!

Lars said...

Wait! Did I miss an official announcement of location in AZ? Is this something new. Or just my lack of familiarity with AZ so I don't recognize the proximity of Flagstaff. Yeah, that's probably it. Not me slacking on reading your blog while we've been sick.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share