Pages

Mar 31, 2010

Sharing a family favorite

Tonight we fed the missionaries. We always eat better when we feed the missionaries. Why? Because I hope that there are kind souls in Slovenia that are filling my valiant brother's belly while he devotes his life to God for two years. Elder Hone and Elder Wheeler were delightful guests.

The missionaries' visit coincided with my desire to clear out the freezer, so we had chicken pillows (several ingredients were frozen before noon today). I mentioned our menu on Facebook and a few friends requested the recipe, so here you go.

Chicken Pillows
36 frozen Rhodes rolls
3 cups chicken, cooked and diced
8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 T dehydrated onions
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1 cup bread crumbs

First, defrost the rolls according to package directions -- on a greased pan, under greased plastic wrap -- until they are soft but not raised. This took a couple of hours in my 65-degree kitchen. When they were ready I just stuck them in the fridge until I was ready to use them. (My cute sister gave me this great advice.)




Cook and chop up the chicken and mix with 1/2 cup of softened butter, cream cheese, onions, and pepper. It should look something like this.



Stretch out a soft roll into a flat circle, then scoop some chicken mixture into the center. Pinch the roll around the filling.



Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a small bowl and pour bread crumbs into a separate bowl. Dip the newly-formed "pillow" in butter and bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet, crumb side up.



Take pictures of your children, who may or may not be watching TV in the buff.



Bake pillows at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes.



We like to drizzle the pillows with gravy (cream of chicken soup diluted with skim milk). Tonight we served the chicken pillows with strawberries, green salad, and Arizona-fresh lemonade. With two very hungry 19-year-olds and our always-ravenous Zachary at the table, we had about seven pillows left over after dinner. This meal was a lot of work, but it sure was yummy. I'm looking forward to lunch leftovers tomorrow!

5 comments:

Emily Hayes said...

these were always a favorite at our house- handy note. You can cook them up and then freeze them. My mom would make them almost any time she made homemade rolls and then freeze them. The most wonderful thing to have quick out of the freezer. Just microwave and add gravy.

Colleen said...

I have a recipe for those in a ward cookbook I got from a BYU ward when Adam and I were first married...they sure are delicious! We had the missionaries last week, a very nice pair they are.

GAVIN!!! BUAHAHAHAHA!

Danielle said...

Mmmmmm....that looks so good!

Johnson Family said...

That is a recipe we use as well. But we use cresent rolls from the tubes, unroll them precooked, stuff them and then dip then in butter and crumb mixture.
I think I will try your recipe next and see how the kids like this one.
Thanks for sharing.
p.s. awesome censorship with Gavin!

Ellen said...

I'm feeding the missionaries tonight and am copying your menu!!! I would never do something I haven't done before for guests but with your step-by-step and even with pictures how can I mess this one up?!! Do you use 2 cookie sheets for the remaining 8 rolls? Just wondering. Thanks for the idea!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share