Pages

Nov 27, 2012

Weird, True, and Freaky

The following is brought to you with limited commercial interruption from the Bartle household.

Gavin and Lexi were bent on having a pudding cup after lunch.  Since I had just given them each a mint brownie (even the last ones in the pan!), I declined their request.  I went about cleaning up the very messy house.  I walked into Kate's bedroom to put away a pile of doll clothes and found the curtains blowing in the breeze.  Then I saw that the window was open.  When I poked my head out, I found Lexi on the ground below...eating chocolate pudding.
...

I had an appointment this afternoon, but my scheduled babysitter got sick.  Her sister wasn't available, either, and there are precious few teenagers capable of handling my five crazy children.  So I called a young adult friend, left a message on her home phone, and completely forgot about the whole thing.  Two hours later, after I had made plans in my head to take Kate with me and leave the other kids with Zach, the friend called back.  I was astonished that she knew I needed a babysitter--and exactly when.  I asked her several times who called to ask her to babysit for me.  She finally said, "YOU DID!"  Oh.  Right.  Wow.
...

While I vacuumed the basement and couldn't hear him, Gavin popped a bag of popcorn in the microwave, melted half a stick of butter, and mixed the two together.  As I came up the stairs, he and Lexi were sharing the giant bowl of popcorn, butter dripping down their fingers and chins.
...

Kate climbed on the table after breakfast and, wearing only a diaper, spilled half a gallon of milk.  Two days later she raided the pantry and started eating sugar by the handful.
...

Monday's weather was chilly.  At going-to-school time it was 26 degrees outside with a stiff wind blowing.  When I picked Zach up from the middle school at 8:50 a.m., he was standing on the curb, red-faced and shivering.  When he got in the car and started blasting the furnace, I asked if he knew what might make him warmer.  "No, I don't get it! I'm wearing jeans AND a t-shirt AND a hoodie!  That should be enough!"
...

On the same day, Tyler was running around before school, looking for a pair of jeans.  They were most likely in the washing machine with the other dark clothes.  He was in despair; those jeans are his ONLY pants.  Ha!  I remembered that when school started I said I'd buy him some pants when it got cold.  That time has apparently arrived.
...

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Ben walked out the door this morning in only a t-shirt. While it isn't quite as cold as Monday was, I just rolled my eyes. At least you got some good Christmas ideas out of all this--a jacket for Zach, jeans for Tyler, pudding cups for Gavin and Lexi and a bag of sugar for Kate! :)

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share