Pages

Nov 16, 2012

Littles Letters

Dear Gavin,

I have to admit, it was pretty funny at Albertson's this morning when that lady ran, wide-eyed and yelling, across the store to scold you.  She probably said, "You're giving me a heart attack!" five times.  You were standing up in the grocery cart.  And so was Lexi.  But I was quick to tell the lady that standing up in the cart is NOT worthy of a heart attack in our family.  You know that's your fault, right?

Love,

Mama
...

Dear Lexi,

Why must you have screaming tantrums every day when I drop you off at preschool? Miss Rachel says you calm down in 30 seconds and enjoy preschool very much.  But none of us are fond of your theatrics.

Same goes for babysitters and the YMCA child watch.

Love you.

Mama
...

Dear Kate,

I was totally charmed today when you walked up behind Lexi and wrapped your arms around her waist in a loving embrace.  You wouldn't hug anyone else, but you hugged Lexi several times.  I hope you two will be good friends one day.

Mama
...

Dear Gavin,

So you want to change your name, huh?  I'm not sure what prompted the desire, but apparently you think Gavin doesn't suit you anymore.  When I told you that I really wanted to name you Cole, you adopted that as your name for the day, and I smiled every time I said it.

You are so funny.

Mama
...

Dear Lexi,

King beds are pretty big, but not big enough for two adults and two children.  What happened to sleeping in Gavin's bed...and keeping him there with you?  I'm crowded.

Mama Bear
...

Dear Kate,

I totally thought you were past the freaking-out stage at the YMCA child watch.  But apparently you aren't, and I'm back to working out for 20 minutes until someone comes to get me.  Apparently you missed the memo that I needed the full two hours today.  Don't worry.  We'll try again next week and you can redeem yourself.

Love you (promise),

Mama
...

Dear Gavin,

Thanks for picking out your birthday sheets today.  I totally lied to you when I said that I was buying them for someone else.  I'm glad to know you'll be getting just what you want. Because every five-year-old boy wants new bedding for his birthday....right?

Love,

Mama
...

Dear Lexi,

So remember a few weeks ago when I swore I would never, ever, ever take you and your siblings out in public again?  Oh wait.  That was just last week.  Sadly, you reminded me--and all Target employees and patrons and city residents in a five-mile radius--why shopping with you is not a good idea.  You've got a set of lungs, girl, and when you aren't happy (read: when I don't buy you everything you ask for) you employ them with great tenacity.  Do you have a sore throat from all that screaming?

All I know is that locking you and Gavin and Kate in the van was an absolute necessity.  I needed a Mommy Time-Out, so I sat next to the van in the parking lot for about 20 minutes, taking deep breaths, crying, sending SOS texts to friends, and ignoring the strange stares from random people in the parking lot.

I am sure that one day you will have to employ these tactics because of your own children.

Love you (promise),

Mama
...

Dear Kate,

Do you know that we have a back-up Hopscotch?  Yep, your favorite furry friend hides in strange places sometimes, and when you need to sleep and I can't find the beloved bunny, I pull out the back-up from my closet to appease you.  This system has never failed us. You can thank your dad.  It was his idea to buy two bunnies.

Love,

Mama
...

Dear Gavin,

You have re-discovered reading, and I love it.  You can blast through some of our BOB books now, and are starting to notice that letters and words are everywhere.  You ask me to spell things all the time.  You are also suddenly interested in basic math. Today in the car you told me that 6+6+6=18.  Wow!  

I have a secret, desperate wish that we can send you to all-day kindergarten next year.  I have no idea where we'll come up with the substantial fee, but a girl can dream.

Love,

Mama
...

Dear Lexi,

After they sat in your closet for 11 months, you recently decided you LOVE your hot pink, high-heeled dress-up shoes.  According to you, they are perfect for winter weather, slick floors, grass, and all outings.  And they are best worn on the wrong feet.

Your baby dolls have enjoyed the changes to their wardrobe that you provide with astonishing frequency.  Your bedroom is constantly littered with doll clothes.  I think this is a sign of things to come in your teenage years.

Love,

Mama
...

Dear Kate,

BLESS YOU for taking a daily nap.  That is all.

Love,

Mama
...

[Post-edit]: 

Dear Littles,

You get one more collective letter.  I just had to have a complete list of your nefarious deeds today.

Today began with Albertson's antics and heart-attack lady.  Then we went to the gym, where you, Miss Kate, were super sad.  Then the out-of-control Target outing, where I got everything on my list but lost my sanity and cried in the parking lot.  We went home for lunch, and you, Gavin and Lexi, ran positively wild.  I made you play outside for a while, so you--wearing swimsuits, flip flops, and winter coats--climbed trees and dug in the flower beds.  Then I asked you to play in the basement while Kate slept.  That, presumably, is when you pumped lotion all over the carpet and the orange couch (but I didn't discover it until late afternoon).

Lexi, your screaming tends to wake sleeping babies, and today was no exception.  Zach came home at 3:30 p.m. alone...he said he "lost" Tyler on the way home from school. Five minutes later, Tyler called from school, sobbing, so we went to pick him up. 

I was taking my frustrations out on a Jon Schmidt piano piece when you, Miss Lexi, decided that cutting open a banana with a steak knife was a good choice.  You changed your mind when you sliced open your left thumb.  Blood dripped all through the kitchen (and smeared on your face and hair) when you came to show me.  I patched you up with steri-strips and tape and gauze, but not before Kate tripped on the floor and cut the inside of her top lip.  Lots of blood.

We had scrambled eggs for dinner.  And I left the house as soon as Dad got home.  I'm pretty sure you all went to bed early.

Love (promise),

Mama

No comments:

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share