Pages

Nov 22, 2012

Mystery illness

Poor Kate has been sick...but we're not exactly sure what's bothering her.  For a couple of weeks now, she has been waking up a lot in the night.  She doesn't just cry; she screams. She arches her back and kicks her legs like she's in pain.  She refuses to be comforted. Eventually she relaxes and snuggles (usually with me, because she won't have anything to do with Garry during these episodes), but won't sleep in her bed.  Kate only slept through the night once or twice in two weeks, but without any other symptoms, I didn't take her to the doctor.  

That changed on Saturday.  She woke up from a late nap with a fever of 101 and a crazy rash on her legs.  The pictures below don't do it justice.  She had large patches, nearly from her hip to her knee, on the outside of each leg.  They were red and raised with a white border and were warm to the touch.  The sudden appearance of the rash was rather alarming, so I took her to urgent care.  After we waited two hours (with only three people ahead of us!), the doctor examined Kate and found nothing wrong with her.  He ruled out ears, throat, sinuses, lungs, and teeth.  Her fever was controlled with Tylenol.  He diagnosed Kate with the Parvo virus and a "non-specific rash."  He told us to ride it out.



Well, after Kate's Sunday morning nap, she woke up with the same red patches on her cheeks.  Her legs were clear, but she also had hives on her arms.  What on earth?!  Kate's fever was back, too.  I stayed home from church with her and administered Benadryl and called the pediatric advice line.  We decided to watch and wait.  By late afternoon she was well enough to make a big mess, so I didn't worry too much.




Yesterday I really thought Kate was better.  She was happy and active and took a good nap.  I even commented that it seemed the crisis had passed.  But last night Kate was hysterical again.  She slept poorly all night, a good chunk of it in my arms.  I'm at a loss...what is going on? 

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Have you had her allergy tested? Is she getting molars? Is it some strain of Fifths Disease? I think I'd be just as puzzled as you are. Poor baby. (And momma.)

Grandma said...

So sorry. The rash looks bad. I hope you figure it out soon and you both can get more rest.

Adri said...

Lea had a similar looking rash to that picture of the bumps on Kate's arms. It would come and go over the course of a couple weeks, showing up after nap time or in the morning. I thought she must have bugs in her bed or something. I fumigated the whole room, washing everything (twice) but couldn't ever figure out what was going on. I still don't know, but guess it might have been hives related to being too hot in her bed? Not sure. But she never did the screaming thing. I hope you get it figured out!

Kerri Andersen said...

it really sounds like allergies. maybe something in her bed or the laundry detergent. try washing her sheets and switching laundry detergent. (i only know this because it has happened to my brother will.)

Melissa said...

I'm no nurse...but it sounds like she's having an allergic reaction, to something in her diet. When Audrey was much younger she would scream in pain, so I cut dairy out, and that did the trick. Hope you get some answers and relief soon!

Shannon said...

For the screaming--maybe a charlie horse in her leg or something?
For the rash--it could be Fifth's Disease. I've had two of my kids react strongly to this virus, one with hives, the other with just extremely red cheeks and a rash on his chest. It took a while for the symptoms to disappear, longer than I thought it should.

Amanda M. said...

I have no idea about the rash, but my youngest suffered from night terrors. They were terrible....He would be screaming, but not all the way awake. He's now 4 1/2 and still has trouble sleeping all night.

Colleen said...

I hope you've got this figured out or it's worked itself out. Those hives look intense. I'd be worried too! Poor little girl!

maynardmoments said...

fifths disease? Looks like it to me. Poor thing!

Alissa Maxwell said...

My youngest went through a week of that nasty heat rash - it followed an allergic reaction he had to a medication. Our pediatrician explained that it this way: sometimes when our bodies are fighting an allergy, they develop a temporary HYPER-sensitivity and will over-react to minor irritants. So, his skin was over-reacting to the heat generated while sleeping. Josh's rash came and went for about a week. Sounds like Kate could have had a minor virus that produced a hyper-sensitivity... hopefully temporary!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share