Pages

Apr 26, 2012

Great expectations

Last year on my birthday, I attended BYU Women's Conference with a Presenter name tag around my neck. That whole experience was pretty surreal, but I have marked its milestones--receiving the invitation, attending the orientation, writing the talk, flying to Utah, and speaking at the conference--over the last few months and weeks.  Today marks the beginning of another Women's Conference, and this time, I'm not there.  

At 11:00 this morning, as the first break-out session of Women's Conference began in Provo, I sat in an elementary school gymnasium, watching the Littles play with hula hoops and basketballs while the Bigs took their end-of-year literacy tests.  Instead of standing at a podium with trembling knees and voice, I listened to one mother crowing about her upcoming adoption (a Chinese albino girl who is completely adorable) and another discussing her latest read.  

A year ago, I celebrated my birthday in what felt like a very significant way.  But I was incessantly nauseated, in lots of physical pain, and so worried about the health of my unborn baby.  Today, that little baby is pulling on my computer's power cord and mastering her forward crawl in pursuit of the garbage can under my desk.  

I haven't been very excited for my birthday to roll around, but I'll turn 33 on Saturday whether I like it or not.  It's not the aging that upsets me.  Getting older is what it is.  I think some pesky expectations are bothering me.  Last year at this time, I spent a lot of time thinking about what life would be like today.  I imagined my healthy, happy baby--and she has certainly lived up to my greatest dreams.  But I also had great expectations for my own health and happiness, both of which are floundering right now.  I thought I'd have my body back by now.  I thought I'd have my life back.  I thought I would have rejoined society and reclaimed my personality and overcome all of the obstacles that pregnancy put in my path.  None of that has really happened, and I'm frustrated.

When I think about my Women's Conference assignment, I think about how significant it made me feel.  I never set out to do anything flashy or of great acclaim in my life.  I have always been quite content with my small and simple existence, my happy family, my little church calling, and a quiet spot on the back row. And I still am.  But somehow, this year, I feel less important than I did last year.  Less visible.  Less needed.  Less capable.  Just....less.  My birthday is always a time of reflection, and this year, I don't love what I see in the mirror.  Last year I had dreams of "fulfilling my life mission" and "blessing more people than ever."  What the heck does that mean?

Since I really have no idea, I got a haircut today.  I always think that getting a haircut will change my life.  (Hint: It never does, but I'm going to keep trying.)  I have decided that even though my jeans still don't fit and I will probably feel like barfing, at least I'll have great hair for the Pinewood Derby, which is my plan for a birthday celebration.  Stay tuned...the boys have some wicked-awesome cars and I promise to post pictures.  They are a lot more fun than birthday candles this year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not a fun way to be feeling, but you put it so poignantly and so well that I'm still very glad I read it.

I wish I knew something to suggest to you to begin to get your groove back, but a) it's almost impossible when you don't feel well and b) we are so different that I hardly know what might help you!

So how about a big, fuzzy, long-distance birthday hug instead?

Amanda said...

I wish I could offer some profound insight that would help. But, I often find myself feeling like you explained here. Insignificant. I am willing to bet that you continue to touch more lives than you will ever know--in spite of not feeling well.

I often find comfort in the lyrics of an LDS pop song: "The lives you touch matter so much, and there's no one else like you." Even if it's only in your own little patch of ground, you are making a major difference. You are raising five children to have a testimony of the gospel. I can't think of anything with more potential to change the world than five more people who will share the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I hope your birthday is fantastic! And, I hope you're able to see all that you have accomplished in the last 33 years;

Colleen said...

I, too, am missing my Women's Conference experience this year.

I love what your friend Amanda above wrote. You are doing significant things Heidi! I always tell my YW that it was girls just like them, living their lives in the right way, kind, caring and full of faith, that led me to seek further knowledge of the LDS church, and with the five wonderful kids you are raising (even with all the foibles kids have) you will have kids that set that example too. And look at what those YW in my life helped to create by their example, my eternal family and the hope of five eternal families in the future, and after that.... More directly, let's not forget to mention the friends who find friendship, honesty and laughter on this page and those whom you have directly led to the church by your inviting and example.

You DO make a difference! Happy birthday!!! I will continue to pray for an answer to your health issues!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share