Pages

Apr 30, 2012

Out with the old, in with the new

Breaking news: I finished a project!  Wow, it's been a long time.  It felt kinda good to actually finish something.  Not much I do around here (think laundry, dishes, cleaning, teaching) ever gets finished.  So this feels like a major accomplishment.

So what did I do?  Well, I replaced this beast:


The awning on our play structure has been gradually shredded by hail, wind, rain, and sun over the last four years.  A few weeks ago we used a coupon to buy some new vinyl.



I ran out of thread 3/4 of the way through the sewing phase.  But miraculously, I got out on a Mommy-only errand (on the way home from the doctor! fun!) the next day and picked up some new thread.  And then I finished.  And then Garry and Zach hung it up.



Ahhh....isn't that better?

I also bid a not-so-fond farewell to my maternity flip-flops.  I know.  It was time...a long time ago.  This might be the last remnant of pregnancy that's left in this house (besides Kate and my waist and my nausea, of course).  Getting rid of the stretched-out, sloppy flip-flops reminded me of getting rid of the recliner.  It was mostly a huge relief.  I have no idea what took me so long.


The next old things to leave this house will be our almost-14-year-old couches.  For my birthday, Garry is building new couches.  Yes, that's right.  Building.  And I'm super excited.  That will be a much bigger project and a much more exciting post (when it happens).  But until then I offer this teaser: the couches will be orange!  Yes!


6 comments:

Dan and Katie said...

I used that orange fabric to make pillows for my front room. I am very curious how to make couches!!

maynardmoments said...

Wow, awesome job on the play structure cover. And I LOVE orange. Can't wait to see the couches.

granny said...

Love love love the play structure and the fabric choices. You guys rock.

Anonymous said...

You are so bold! Sewing with vinyl? Something so BIG? I'm very impressed. Bit sewing stuff scares me, even if it is "just" rectangles...

And how does one build a couch??? I can't wait to see!

Colleen said...

Hooray!! It looks great. I love the orange floral. I am in the market for orange-something curtains for the front windows. Such fun! I can't wait to see the final product of Garry's birthday gift!

angiedunn said...

i can't wait to hear the details of your couches! LOVE the fabric.

and go you. seriously, you accomplish so much. i bow to you.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share