Pages

Apr 19, 2012

Bright spots

This week the stomach flu visited our family.  Gavin and Lexi were victims over the weekend.  Kate had it Monday and Tuesday.  Zach barfed all night Monday and part of Tuesday, and Tyler threw up at school on Tuesday.  Garry and I felt nasty on Tuesday, although Garry went to work.  But Wednesday--oh boy--was bad for me.  Yikes.  I haven't been that sick for a while (and that's saying something, because hey, it's me).  I'll spare you the details, but yesterday was one long, miserable day.  And all the kids were home.  I got to feeling pretty sorry for myself.

So today, when I woke up feeling less queasy, and the kids all went back to school, my outlook improved.  But a few little things helped my day feel even brighter.

There was the "YAY!" text from a friend when she found out I was feeling better.

There was the snatch of time before Kate's morning nap when she actually let me rock her to sleep.

There was the lovely period of coloring and workbook-ing with Lexi at the kitchen table.



There was the sort of nap-ish thing I grabbed during the Littles' afternoon movie.

There was the rain.

There was the glorious moment when I found my awesome-but-missing library book all tangled in the bed sheets.  It was due yesterday, and I have been so mad at myself for losing it.  Finding it restored a little bit of confidence in myself.  I didn't lose the book.  I don't have to pay the "lost book" fine.  AND...I might get to finish it before the three-day grace period ends.


Then there was the surprise package in the mail from Jill, a friend from my BYU days who now resides in Alabama.  Unwrapping all of the treasures was a real delight, and I love everything she sent.  Thanks, Jill.


I feel loved, which is the brightest part of all.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Hooray! I found a lost library book this week too. What a relief!

So happy the package arrived safely (I was kind of worried about the honey!). Glad your day was better and that your family seems to be on the mend. You ARE loved.

granny said...

That book looks great. Give me a book report when you are done. I'm glad you had a better day. I'm soooo sorry you got sick...and everyone else too.

Anonymous said...

I am still just mad at the universe for sending your family the stomach flu. Seriously??? I'd say there are some other issues to resolve for you before you all are due for another round of...well, ANYTHING.

Very glad you found your book, and what a package! That's definitely a day-brightener right there.

Colleen said...

How thoughtful! Having just had the stomach flu, I can honestly say, UG. What an awful experience. I am sorry, with everything else your stomach seems to be experiencing that this had to be added to the list. Miraculously, it only hit me here in our house. I am so glad health has returned to your home!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share