Pages

Dec 29, 2010

Mail call

Around 5:30 this evening, with dinner simmering on the stove, I put on a coat, grabbed my keys, and walked down the street to pick up the mail. It was nearly dark, but as I walked home, I thumbed through the large collection of envelopes, magazines, and shopping ads. One envelope, addressed to me, had a handwritten note on the front: "personal." Intrigued, I slid the envelope open with a finger in the fading light.

On the driveway the red and green Christmas lights on my house provided enough light to read the letter.

Dear Heidi:

On behalf of the Women's Conference Committee, it is my pleasure to invite you to participate as a presenter in the BYU Women's Conference, to be held April 28 and 29, 2011.

That's when I stopped reading. I couldn't really think.

I threw open the front door, dropped the rest of the mail and raced downstairs, where Garry was sitting with his dad and the kids. There I flipped on the lights, interrupted conversations, and read the whole letter aloud. I was laughing as I read. Was this really happening? To me?

But apparently it is happening. I have exchanged emails with the friend on the Women's Conference committee who submitted my name for approval. I have formally accepted the invitation to present. I am humbled...and kind of excited!

How crazy is that?

20 comments:

Jenny said...

Crazy awesome! I wish I could go and see you speak!

Dan and Katie said...

Yay totally crazy awesome, crazy cool!

Lars said...

So great!

granny said...

I will be there {with bells on.} How cool is that????

angiedunn said...

whoa nelly sister! that's so exciting, but no surprise! you'll do amazing!

reddladybug said...

How cool!!!

Rosemary T said...

I'm glad you were "laughing" as you read (instead of crying).
You'll do great.

Emma said...

I wish I could come see you! That would be awesome! Good luck you'll do great!

juliespahr said...

As I started to read this post I thought "She was probably laughing as she read the letter!":) That's incredible and not surprising AT aLL!!! You inspire me almost daily! Good luck and congrats!

Reynolds Family said...

Awesome! Glad I'm close...can't wait to hear you speak:)

Danielle said...

doesn't surprise me in the least-you'll rock!

Karie said...

Fantastic, Heidi! You'll do splendidly.

Melissa said...

Well now thousands of other women will get the chance to marvel at your awesomeness!

Admin said...

Congratulations!! I hope I can come to see you!

Melanie said...

That's a big deal! You know, Pres. Monson heads the committee to decide on the presenters. I'm thrilled for you!

The Wizzle said...

Whoa, that is totally crazy! So, you are going to talk?! Congratulations! What an honor! How exciting!

(Is that enough exclamation points? :))

Colleen said...

Adri mentioned this today so I had to go back and find this post! You are going to be a FANTASTIC presenter! And I plan on being there this year, so I will be there to hear it! Wonderful choice, Womens' Conference committee!

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh! I just read this! Good for you Heidi! Are you scared? I would be scared. You will do a great job, and I'd love to come see you if you know when and where. I'm happy for you.

Cyri said...

Congrats! That is so awesome! :) You'll do fabulously.

Unknown said...

Keep us posted on the dates. You can stay with us although it may be a long drive. :)

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share