Pages

Nov 4, 2010

So embarrassed

I was roused from a deep sleep when the sun was still waking up itself. The shrill sound of the doorbell interrupted yet another dream about drowning. While it was a relief to escape the nightmare, I could not imagine why someone was standing on my porch in the dark. Garry, who had fallen asleep on the couch downstairs last night, thundered up the staircase and opened the door.

On the porch was our bishop.

As soon as I heard his voice, I knew what was happening. Weeks ago I agreed to watch his girls before school today so he and his wife could fulfill assignments in the temple. It was on my calendar....just not in my brain. Argh!

So the bishop stepped inside with his two girls. We had a pleasant conversation about school drop-off times and locations. I nodded and smiled and asked questions, trying to reassure him that I was, indeed, prepared to care for his girls--despite my pajamas, crusty tear ducts, and disheveled hair. I offered my apologies and brightest smile as he walked out the door.

The next hour and a half were pleasant. The girls ate breakfast with us and entertained Lexi. I eventually changed my clothes and shuttled them to school. By the end of the school day their parents will be home. I have fulfilled my duty, and the bishop and his wife are hopefully enjoying a lovely day in the temple.

All's well that ends well, right? (Please?)

5 comments:

granny said...

Of course! You are so nice for doing that, and I know they appreciate it, no matter how "prepared" you were to greet them. They are in good hands. Hope it is a good day.

The Mitchells said...

Happens to all of us! My roofer showed up unannounced the other day in the late morning and I was still in my pjs with crusty make-up left on from the night before. I should have turned him away and told him to call ahead next time but I felt bad and thinking it would be quick let him come in. Thirty minutes later...Ugh. Being undressed around people you don't know well, not happy making.

The Wizzle said...

Oh gosh, I know that feeling! I have answered the door many a time in a my pajamas...and it has been well after sunrise, too! You were sweet to take on that responsibility.

Colleen said...

Oh, I've been there! Not exactly there, but close enough. And yes, all is well that ends well. It sounds like everything went just fine!

angiedunn said...

hahaha. oh no worries. i do crap like this on a daily basis. sometimes hourly. ;)

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share