Pages

Nov 10, 2010

Catching up

The last couple of weeks have been a little nutso. I can always tell when something spiritually significant is coming up -- like the baptism or a Relief Society lesson -- because the week before is very challenging. Identifying the pattern has been helpful, but not in a make-life-easier sort of way. That's why I haven't been blogging much, but today I am trying to catch up.

What follows is a mish-mash of photos (in no particular order) that captures scenes from family life lately.

1: Gavin's potty-training has severely regressed. I throw away the poopy underwear after the third accident in a day. On the flip side, Gavin is thrilled with the re-emergence of "potty treats" when he has a successful trip to the toilet. The treats live in a Halloween bucket on top of the fridge. On this day, he got the bucket down by himself but lost his balance on the counter and let the bucket fly. He made short work of cleaning up the spilled candy and carried the loot around in his shirt for a while.


2. Football season offically ended with the team party last week at IT'Z, which is a venue like Chuck E. Cheese on steroids. It was crazy-expensive, so we just paid for Garry to take the big boys. The Littles and I stayed home. Zach and Tyler were thrilled with the adventure, and Zach loves his football trophy. Here is a photo and short video from the coach's ceremony.




3. When Zach got a new bike for his birthday, Tyler assumed ownership of Zach's old bike and we put training wheels on Tyler's bike for Gavin. The hand-me-down bikes are not in great shape, but they will do well enough this winter. Gavin's bike is a little big and needs new pedals, but he is enamored with his new form of transportation.


4. Our first snowfall of the season arrived last night. Zach and Tyler thought I was crazy for making them take coats to school in the sub-freezing weather. Our compromise was stuffing coats into backpacks. Silly kids.



5. Gavin and Lexi discovered a bin of blankets under Lexi's crib the other day and turned it into a reading nook for a while. So adorable. I wish these kids played well together more often!


6. Zach has moved into the Bear den in cub scouts. He loves it. On this night, he came home from scouts with a "Made in China" sticker on his forehead....and wouldn't take it off. He kept it on while finishing his homework. I finally made him remove it before school the next day.


7. Before I realized she had two terrible ear infections, I coped with Lexi's incessant crying by holding her all.the.time. We've had a miserable couple of weeks. Anyway, I attempted solo use of the Moby wrap one morning when at my wit's end. Lexi fell asleep in less than 10 minutes.


8. I am experimenting with letting Gavin walk when we go shopping. It's mostly disastrous, but he can wriggle out of buckles and climb out of the basket, so I don't have many options. Gavin is quick to recite the rules when walking at a store: "Stay by da cart and don't touch fings." Even Zachary has trouble following these rules! Maybe I should lower my expectations.


That's our life in a nutshell. (I'm tired.)

7 comments:

Danielle said...

the picture of gavin and lexi reading together is so so so cute! it is always nice to catch them when they're not fighting or getting into things to help remind us why we love them so much. And I can relate on the shopping thing (although ethan hasn't figured out the buckles-he just whines the whole time or whacks bennett). so i let him out for as long as i can and spend half the time watching for him to catch up bc he's walking so slow and corraling him towards whatever i'm trying to get to. It's so much easier to go at night. lol.

The Wizzle said...

Aw, I knew you were busy because you hadn't blogged for a few! I think my biggest and smallest child have pretty similar behavior in public, by and large, too. They all knock over displays and take out senior citizen's knees - just the baby sulks less when I reprimand her!

granny said...

Online shopping....hahahaha! I know, I know. Not great for buying toothpaste and diapers.

Colleen said...

Busy days! So sorry about the potty regression, that is so frustrating! When Zach was potty training I just threw out the poopy underwear too some days. I just couldn't take it anymore! My boys feel the same way about coats. Funny kids! Congrats to Zach on both a fun season of football and his move to Bears!

Yin said...

Hi tired mama. Your kids are adorable. I can't keep Ella in the cart, either. She has walked on her own in some stores, but not yet a grocery store. I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough for that. Good luck!

Grandma said...

Congrats to Zachary. He looked happy and proud of himself. The rest of the info was informative. Thanks for the update.

angiedunn said...

tender moments.com! your kids are growing up so fast.

good job zach! i'm proud of you!!!

and please. moment of silence for the book reading in the bin. presh.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share