Pages

Jul 7, 2010

Peace



Tonight Gavin wouldn't go to bed. Would NOT. I had to hold the door closed to keep him in his bedroom. It was tragic. Finally, after 30 minutes, he gave up the screaming routine and fell asleep. The entire household took a collective sigh of relief.

As I was standing outside his room, forehead pressed on the door jam, straining to grip the wiggling door knob, I pondered this difficult season of my life. It has offered lots of frustrating experiences. I often feel like I'm banging my fists on a closed door, screaming about wanting to get through. Sometimes life seems very much being like shut in a room I'd rather not be in at all.

But today, as I sat in the temple, I simultaneously felt two powerful things: an electrifying spirit and overwhelming peace. And I realized that I have been so focused on the doors that are closed that I haven't even noticed all of the windows that are opening all around me. Life may not lead down the path I expected or on the vehicle I planned to ride, but it is still going to be exciting and wonderful and beautiful -- and surely better than I ever expected.

My temple ponderings also included the lyrics to a lovely anthem by Horatio Spafford. I first heard it sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but I also love this beautiful rendition. Learning about the composer's life and perspective touched my heart. I have to practice a lot, but I am learning to find peace in this tumultuous world. "It is well with my soul" tonight.

8 comments:

angiedunn said...

amazing. you are so wise. joy in the journey, baby. the temp is good like that. LOVE you.

a quote i read daily:

"I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."

Gilda Radner

granny said...

That is a beautiful song. OMG

Melanie said...

Some deep thoughts, indeed!

Johnson Family said...

what a thought provoking blog. It really puts life into perspective. Maybe living in an apartment for a month isn't too bad...he he
thanks for letting us take up a few moments of your precious time today, you are very gracious. Believe it or not, the kids didn't fight too much after your house. I guess they got it all out there...hummm Sorry about that!
I am working on details for the farm trip. I will let you know tomorrow.

Holly said...

I love this. I love you. and I love that you are sound asleep in the next room right now.
you deserve every minute.

Amanda said...

I needed this today. Thanks.

LittleG said...

You rock!

Anonymous said...

Let's get together one day over this Summer! Whaddya say?! I think Lily and Lexi would be dear friends...just like us!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share