Feb 28, 2014

What did I do all day?

I asked myself this question at 5:51 p.m. on Thursday.  I really had to think about it.  I mean, clearly I didn't spend time cleaning the kitchen, which is where I was sitting when the thought occurred to me.  I never spend enough time doing that.'s what I did on Thursday.

6:00 a.m. Find myself squished between two little girls vying for space on MY pillow.  Notice that my husband is home (after being in Minneapolis for three days). Ahhh...

6:45 a.m. Reluctantly roll out of bed.

6:59 a.m. Melt coconut oil and swish for my almost-daily oil pull. *blech*

7:00 a.m. Supervise breakfast and the making of lunches.  

7:19 a.m. Spit out the oil in a cup while driving Zach to school.

7:20 a.m. Drive up to the drop-off corner at Zach's school.  Endure his furious tirade about not being dropped at the band room, and his pronouncement that in retaliation, he will not go to after-school basketball practice.  Tell him that he can walk home from school and then turn in his phone.

7:25 a.m. Receive this text: "So can you bring me my basketball stuff?" to which I respond: "What are you going to do for me if I do that for you?  It's not convenient for me to come back to the school today."  No response.

7:57 a.m. Bid farewell to Garry, Gavin, and Tyler.  Gavin is mad about his clothes and Tyler is mad about being late (15 minutes early).

8:15 a.m.  Make a breakfast smoothie.  Post the recipe on Facebook.  Breathe for a few minutes.

8:30 a.m. Pick up a friend's double stroller so the girls and I can take a walk in the lovely weather (40-ish, crisp, and sunny).

8:49 a.m. Finally start said walk.

9:15-ish a.m.  Arrive at Zach's school (the 3.5-mile walk's mid-point) and drop off his basketball stuff.  

10:00 a.m.  Return from walk.  Turn on the TV for the girls.  Get in the shower.

10:25 a.m.  Finish getting ready and start getting the girls ready to leave the house (looking respectable this time).

10:40 a.m. Arrive at Tyler's school.  Wait five minutes while the office ladies try to find his class, which seems to have disappeared into thin air.  Sign him out as girls run amok.

10:56 a.m. Arrive at the Children's Specialty Clinic for Tyler's orthopedic follow up (aka cast x-ray).

11:15 a.m.  Good news!  Bones are healing nicely.  No surgery.

11:45 a.m. Arrive home after returning Tyler to school.  Lunch.  Email.  Little Einsteins.

12:45 a.m.  Naptime!  Lexi, too.  Girls object; Mom is unswayed.

1:00 p.m.  Primary newsletter.  Email.  Facebook.  A few quick texts.  Phone calls: Piano humidifier solution is now sold at Walmart; Dr. Y can add hormone panel to lab order; Garry knows that Tyler's arm is healing; friend I was concerned about needed to be concerned about.  Or something like that.

2:50 p.m. Time to get the boys from school.  Load up borrowed stroller, then pull two sleepy girls from their beds. They object with many tears. Tell me about it.

3:07 p.m.  Arrive at the elementary school.  Load girls in stroller (pretty handy...why did we sell ours?) and walk quickly to kindergarten pick-up.

3:15 p.m. Pick up Gavin.  Tyler goes to News Crew.

3:16 p.m.  Zip back to the van with the Littles.

3:20 p.m.  Load up.  Head to Lab Corp.

3:25 p.m.  Sheepishly walk into Lab Corp, which closes at 3:30.  They'll take us.  Phew.

3:35 p.m.  My turn.  Gavin is transfixed with the blood draw.

3:45 p.m.  Back to the van.  Back to the school.

3:55 p.m.  Littles romp on the playground while we wait for News Crew to end.  Fake a conversation with the non-friendly lady on the bench. Shiver. It's cold.

4:15 p.m.  News Crew ends.

4:25 p.m.  Wait at the middle school curb for basketball to end.  Eat Girl Scout cookies, even though they are not dairy-free.

4:35 p.m.  Zach appears.  He's grumpy about the back seat, among other things, and argues with anything that moves as we drive home.

4:38 p.m.  See some friends from church at a stoplight.  Roll down the window and chat for a few minutes while we wait for it to change, then wave as we part.

4:42 p.m.  Pick up the mail.  Let kids run home from the mailbox...their favorite thing.

4:50 p.m  Explain Zach's chore list, which he traded for basketball clothing delivery.  Take Tyler to art lessons.

5:10 p.m.  Home again.  Check chore status.  Ignore dinner preparation and life in general.  Return emails. Manage chaos.  Feel stomach growl but do nothing about it.  Ask the question that titles this post and start typing.

6:09 p.m.  Check the clock and realize Tyler's art class ended nine minutes ago.  Jump in the car.  Call Garry to ask if he'd rather have omelets or hamburgers for dinner.

6:15 p.m.  Arrive at art class and say, "Is it 6:00 yet?"  Laugh with the teacher.  Listen to Tyler talk about his class projects on the way home.

6:25 p.m.  Arrive home at the same time as Garry and regret the absence of dinner preparation.

6:30 p.m.  Be relieved when Garry makes hamburgers.  Start cleaning up the kitchen and getting small people ready for bed.

7:00 p.m.  Dinner.  Star the usual "What was the best part of your day?" routine.  Listen to Zach complain about the quantity of food he is required to eat.  Listen to Gavin complain about how messy a hamburger is when laden with 1/4 c of ketchup.  Try to keep Kate from running around the kitchen.

7:15 p.m.  Put Kate in bed while Garry puts little kids in bed.

7:20 p.m. Make Zach do the dishes (one of his chores-for-basketball-clothes consequences).  Help with clearing counters and sweeping the floor.

7:45 p.m. Sit down at the piano to practice a medley for a baptism on Saturday.

8:35 p.m.  Get ready for volleyball.

8:45 p.m.  Meet friends at the church for a twice-monthly volleyball game night.  Chat until the people using the gym are all done.

9:15 p.m.  Start playing.  Try not to be embarrassed by lack of skill.  Laugh a lot.

11:00 p.m.  One more game.

11:30 p.m.  Talk to Garry for a few minutes.  Get into bed.

1:15 a.m.  Finally fall asleep.

Post a Comment

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share