Pages

May 17, 2013

Design dilemma

My birthday gift was a red couch.  I've been longing for one for ages, and now the day has come!

Except that it hasn't. No couch yet.

We have donated our free-to-us-five-years-ago couch to the youth garage sale this Saturday (it's gonna be massive, so come support us!), so there's a big space in our living room where public seating used to exist.  

Funny how something like that gives me a push in the right direction.  I browsed a local furniture store the other day.  The girls and I roamed for about an hour.  They could not have been better behaved, so I took my time.  I also took a lot of pictures and fawned over many fabric samples.  I fawned so extensively that I have a problem: I maybe want a green couch.

So here's the room where the couch will live.  (Sidebar: Isn't my new clock amazing?)


Here is one of the couches I'm considering.  It is very similar in shape and size to the other couches we have owned. 


I would have it colored in this red fabric, with throw pillows in the fabric below.



Pretty simple, right?  Wrong.

Because there is THIS couch.  It's smaller and more tailored and is super comfortable for a short person like me (plus just comfortable in general).  Plus it's different.  So cute, right?



And wouldn't this side chair be amazing with it?


The problem is that this couch and this side chair do not come in a good red.  There's maroon, and there's pink-ish, but no red in the shade of my dreams.  Lame.  However, it DOES come in this awesome green, and I could have the side chair and the throw pillows in one of these darling (that word probably shouldn't apply to living room furniture) purple patterns.


I think I'm in love.

But now there's a new problem: the room is too green already for a green couch, and the valance won't match.  The simple solution, of course, is to buy a new valance and paint the wall under the chair rail purple.

Haha.

So.  What should I do?  Assuming I don't want to do anymore shopping, and these are the only couches in the world available to me, what's the better option?  I should probably make a decision soon, because this is how our living room will look in the meantime:



At least for now I can blame the mess on having no couch.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i vote green couch, purple flowered other stuff (I love that print!) and new valance/wall paint. It wouldn't be a bad idea to re-paint anyway, I bet - even when I think I am doing it for purely decorative reasons, every time I repaint I'm like "well, I never noticed how scuffed and gross this was until now! Good thing I', repainting anyway!)

Also, HOW EXCITING!

Anonymous said...

Then again, if a red couch has been a fantasy for you, you may not be satisfied until you have A Red Couch.

Hmmmmm.

Heidi said...

Furniture shopping is SO hard. But the green and purple kinda got me. They style of the second couch is beautiful. And that chair rocks.

Ashley said...

Go with red.you have wanted it for forever so chances are you will like it for almost that long.And its bold.And the room is already set up for it.And the paint and clock in there are awesome so don't change them.

Alissa Maxwell said...

Love the green and purple! Plus, green is supposed to be calming, right... as opposed to red = intensity. Personally, I am a sucker for red furniture, but I think other colors tend to look more sophisticated and "design" driven. Beauty is good for our mental health. If one of those fabrics made you ooh and ahh and use the word "darling," you gotta go for it. You are the one that will spend the most time looking at that furniture, so get something that will make yous smile every time.

Love that clock!

lovinglife said...

red

Adri said...

I have such furniture shopping indecisiveness, too! I don't have a vote, but I did nearly buy a red couch this week, too. But it was going to take 4 weeks, so we went with boring brown. I think you should do color for sure!

Amanda said...

The first couch reminds me SO MUCH of the sectional I bought a few months ago. I have that same fabric, but in a brown. I think they even had it paired with that same coffee table.

Something I realized while going through my post-partum depression is that I have to surround myself with colors that make me feel good. So, I'd go with whatever color makes you feel the best.

GinaJ said...

They are both great. But on a purely biased note, I love the purple better. I'm just a sucker for purple.

Shannon said...

My vote would be to get the first couch (which I love!) and then wait to find another, equally adorable side chair in the right fabric to go with it. It's easy to do without a chair for awhile, but a couch? Not so much. This route would be the easiest--no painting, no curtains, nothing else. But, I'm a minimalist and seeing your busy schedule for the next month or so tells me that painting and curtains would not make it to your list anytime soon. I do LOVE the chair, though! Very, very cute.

maynardmoments said...

It's all about the mood you want to create, like someone else commented. Do you want bold and energy, or smooth and calm. Both are fun and cute. Good luck. I am a bi polar furniture shopper as well. Took me 3 months to finally pick something, and stick to it, for our house.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share