Pages

Jan 16, 2011

I'm a Mormon Mommy Blogger

I hopped over to my sister-in-law's blog this morning and found a link to this fascinating article about Mormon Mommy Bloggers. The author is a self-proclaimed "feminist atheist who can't bake a cupcake" and finds herself addicted to the culture she sees in a smattering of blogs authored by popular LDS mothers.

To me, the article was equal parts amusing and thought-provoking. In my view, the author's blogging sample set is pretty skewed. But as I read, I pondered why I blog, and, more importantly, why I have chosen a life as a wife and mother. My life isn't always the "shiny, happy" life that other bloggers portray, but it's a good life, and I'm glad to have it.

After reading the article, I responded (at the bottom of page 17 of the comments section) with the letter below. I would love to hear your perspective -- both of the article and my response.

...

Dear Emily,

I'm a Mormon Mommy blogger, and while my blog most certainly doesn't fall in the sugar-coating, craft-creating, perfect-life-portraying segment of the blogosphere you find so addicting, I hope it is uplifting. I'm a very real, very busy mom of four (going on five), and my blog is a slice of that very real life. But amidst the stories of the failed grocery shopping trip, the frustrating home improvement project, the recurring ear infections, and the husband's endless work hours, I share the beautiful moments, too. The unexpected "I love you" from a toddler, the family game night, the hilarious dinner conversation, the victory at school, the spiritual "a-ha" -- THOSE are the moments that make a mom's job so rewarding. I catalog them all (sometimes leaving out the worst and also the best).

I think most of my readers could be categorized like me: 30-something stay-at-home Mormon moms with a handful of kids. But if that's the only label we get, it's unfair. I am a woman of depth, of faith, of character, of humor, of wisdom. I have a brain and like to use it. I am choosing to apply what talents and skills and life experience I have to the rearing of a happy family. I'm devoting my efforts every day to the future of our society. You and I are just doing that in different ways.

As I blog, I don't aspire to convert anyone to my faith, but if a reader leaves my blog with a new thought or a happier heart, I feel like I have succeeded. If I can endow a fellow mommy (Mormon or not) with a greater sense of purpose when her shirt is covered in spit-up and her laundry pile reaches the ceiling, I'm pleased to do it. And if my kids have a thorough history of their daily family life to peruse when they are older, so much the better.

Thank you for your interesting perspective. I've got something new to chew on today.

Respectfully,

Heidi Bartle

...

P.S. Emily, if you are reading this, I'd love for you to leave a comment!

7 comments:

juliespahr said...

I love reading your blog Heidi, because it's real!!! You have inspired me to find "Joy in the Journey" and countless other things! I don't always have time to leave a comment when I'm on... but I tune in most weeks for an update and leave with a happier heart!!! Your amazing, and I feel soooo blessed to count you as a friend!

Love you!
Julie

Emily Hayes said...

I read her article and really think that your blog gives it all full out- if somebody really wants to know what it is like to be a mom and see the good, bad, and wonderful here is the place to look.

The Wizzle said...

That's kind of exactly what I thought when I read the article! I was kind of tickled and confused at the same time. It is sort of a happy accident that at this moment, a lot of things that are sort of inherent in a "typical" Mormon lifestyle are in fashion - frugal, thrifty decorating and home life, cooking, crafting. So when we were little, ours moms rinsed and reused Ziploc baggies: then it was "cheap", now it's "green"! Whatever, right?

I loved your letter. I have decided I should blog some other time than the middle of the night so I have the presence of mind to do as good a job as you do!

Melanie said...

Beautifully written, my deep thinking, intelligent friend!

maynardmoments said...

Nicely written! How on earth did I miss the "four going on five" announcement! Congrats!!!! Details please.

Colleen said...

I didn't read her article, but I think this is a wonderful response, very real, very YOU! I guess I also, like you, don't read the "shiny happy" Mormon mommy blogs, although I tend to only read blogs of people I know and sometimes catch a few others like "Meanest Mom" (definitely not shiny happy). Most of my blogging friends, while recording the joys and celebrations, also record the challenges and frustrations. And this here Bartle Bulletin is a perfect place to find both of those! I hope she pops over! And perhaps those shiny happy blogs feel that way because we've got "something," us Mormon mommies, that allow the hard times to feel a little less hard.

Rachel said...

Oh Heidi, you got me fired up! Firstly, let me congratulate you on baby number 5! Secondly, I found you at the top of the Quatama Ward R.S. list- in case you're wondering! I "check in" occassionally when it update. I have to say I wish I'd known you when you were still in Oregon... You put a fun perspective on things and I can tell you like to write! As for the article, I can't wait to form my own response. I also want to read more from others (aside from page 1). I'm sure "Emily's" head is spinning! Thanks for the reference and perspective!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share