Pages

Jan 13, 2011

survival mode

Life has shifted gears around here. We are cruising around at 3 m.p.h, windows rolled down, avoiding speed bumps, barf bag at the ready, and hoping to make it to the finish line intact. In this house, pregnancy never drives down Easy Street, but instead of focusing on the seven-plus remaining months as a whole, I choose to adopt the one-day-at-a-time mindset. Even that is a little daunting.

On Tuesday night, I listened to Elder Christofferson's CES Fireside address while I cleaned the kitchen in my pajamas. It was amazing, and exactly what I needed to hear. His message of hope and encouragement and taking life a tiny bit at a time lifted my spirits, and I am sure I will draw on his wisdom many times over the coming months.

For now, here a few glimpses of daily life in the slow lane.

First, I throw up often (well, 2 or 3 times a day seems often) and dry heave every few hours. I am constantly nauseated and the world spins when I lift my head off the pillow. I'm not as tired as I was at Christmastime (we found out about Baby on Christmas Day), but I would still be perfectly content to spend the entire day resting in bed.

Second, my smeller is very sensitive. Opening the fridge (or even the freezer, much to my surprise) makes my stomach roll. Dealing with two sets of toddler bodily fluids is...um...quite unpleasant. And then there are stinky things that I never noticed before: nine-year-old feet, the kitchen wash cloth, bananas, mayonnaise, and yogurt, which my bloodhound nose can pick up from 10 feet away.

Third, my standards for household cleanliness are a thing of the past. Gavin and Lexi graze most of the day, because filling their bellies keeps them content and I don't have to get off the couch as much. We ingest a steady stream of channel 169. In just a few days I have nearly memorized the morning cartoon line-up. The hour of Umi Zoomi (from 10-11) is the best hour of the day.



Fourth, the older boys are glad to be clued in to the fact that I am not dying. I think they suspected a mortal calamity was upon me. Finding out I'm just growing a baby seemed like a relief. I hope that as we adjust to our new normal, they will be willing to step up with household responsibilities like dishes, laundry, and general tidying every night.

Fifth, I have already been the recipient of some service. Some lovely ladies came over on Monday and helped me make some meals to stockpile in my freezer. In just over three hours, the five of us put away 25 meals! It was a wonder to behold. That will be a blessing for our family for several weeks.



Tonight my visiting teachers stopped by to vacuum and help with laundry. I have had other offers to babysit and to clean, but as I am engaged in a marathon and not a sprint, I am hoping to delay assistance until it is more necessary.

With all of this said, I am very grateful to be pregnant. So many people have expressed their utter disbelief that another baby is joining our family. Several have asked outright if this pregnancy was planned or a surprise. Perhaps that's because our life is busy and full with four kids. Perhaps that's because Gavin is one of them. Perhaps that's because because pregnancy is not a picnic for me. I will just say that despite the difficulties ahead, it is a joy and a privilege to bring another of God's children to the earth. There is great peace in knowing I am doing what is right for our family. I derive strength from sacrificing my own comforts to fulfill God's purpose for me on this earth. I am very, very happy about this little baby!

12 comments:

Melanie said...

You're a grand lady, Heidi. Thanks for sharing the joy you are feeling...in the midst of tough times. Following God's plan always brings peace. Glad to be your friend!

Amanda said...

Your story reminded me of life 2 years ago for me. We found out the day after Christmas that year. And, it happened to be the day that we moved into our rental house. I remember laying on the couch and instructing my husband where to put things away in the kitchen, as my body could not handle the task. While I certainly do not look forward to the discomfort and the family chaos brought on by pregnancy, I agree that there is no better feeling than to know that you're doing exactly what is right, and at the right time, for your family.

steph said...

I remember at the beginning of my pregnancy with Nathan my kids had crackers and raisins one day for lunch because that was all I could manage. It helps to know that even though the not so great eating habits and the lots of tv watching habits will be short lived...although it seems like forever in the moment! Hang in there! Are you sick the whole 9 monhts, I hope you aren't! And I hear you on bananas, I think they smell too. :)
So happy for you and your family!

The Wizzle said...

Well, I'm a big fan of everybody just minding their own business and doing what they think is best for their family. I hope you haven't gotten too many negative comments! That makes me sad. If you're happy, I'm happy, and that should be good enough for anyone.

So glad you got some good help though! Wow, 25 frozen meals is a GREAT head start.

granny said...

Could we just find a way to make Mesa and Colorado Springs magically be next to each other. How I'd like to be helping! Take it as easy as you can.

angiedunn said...

holy meals batman! that's AWESOME!

i am thrilled for you! i'll take all the bartle babies i can get!

Mark Dixon said...

You're doing great, Heidi. It's not too long and Claudia will be with you for a few days. Hope she can help.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I must ask though, what kind of crazy person would have 5 kids??? oh yes, us. I will be praying for your added strength and stamina in the coming days, weeks and months. Congratulations to you!!! Take it easy and pray for an umi zoomi marathon:)...

yvonne enger said...

So very happy for you.But sorry your not feeling well. My daughter just had a girl 3 weeks ago. She was sick the whole time. You are a great mom. Take care.

yvonne enger said...

I was telling my daughter about you being so sick and she said to tell you Zofran helped her.

Unknown said...

We are so happy for you. If you need any anti-nausea, e-mail me. I tried everything. So glad you have people to take care of you. I always begged for someone to help clean. :)

JulSH said...

Your freezer looks AWESOME!! It could be in a commercial.

I'm excited for you and this new little one. What a blessing!

Glad you have sisters to take good care of you there!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share