Pages

Jun 13, 2010

My girls

I have been richly blessed to know wonderful women in Colorado Springs. Almost immediately this place felt like home, due in no small part to the friends I made so quickly. Shortly after we arrived there was a large influx of young families in our ward. Some have come and gone already, and some of us will leave within the next few months. I am so grateful for their friendship and examples in my life! On Saturday a few of us gathered for a delightful lunch and conversation.

L-R: Jen, Adri, Traci, Margaret, Shaina, Becky, Colleen, Ashley

I am reminded of one of my favorite friendship quotes by C.S. Lewis:

"In friendship…we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years' difference in the dates of our birth, a few more miles between certain houses, a choice of one university instead of another... the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting - any of these chances might have kept us apart.

But for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking, no chances.

A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” can truly be say to every group of Christian friends, “You have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another.”

The friendship is not a reward for our discrimination and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauty of others."

9 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm really glad you have wonderful friends who love you, and who you love. That's fantastic Heidi.

Adri said...

Lovely quote. Lovely ladies.

We'll miss everyone who's moving!

Colleen said...

It sure was a fun lunch! I am so glad so many of us could make it work at the last minute. And I love your quote, how true it is! You will be SO missed, my friend. Thank goodness for your blog to keep us "neighbors." :)

The Cushing Family said...

That quote says it perfectly!!! As awful as this year has been, I sure have been blessed with these incredible girls who have taken care of me too. I just wish we all weren't splitting up so quickly. Heavenly Father definitely puts us in the right places at the right time.

Shannon said...

Wonderful quote, and SO true. Thank you for sharing it with us!

kendra said...

looks so fun!

and Harry Potter - wow Tyler, awesome.

and still - so many many similarities between Isaac and Gavin. must be the third boy or something. I was truely unprepared for his craziness. luckily, they have adorable endearing qualities too.

granny said...

I really liked the CS Lewis quote. Thanks for sharing. And thanks, girls, for taking care of my girl.

Shaina said...

I've loved having you as a friend. I hope your house sells quickly for you, my friend. Although we will miss you terribly, we know that is where your heart is.

The Mitchells said...

Lunch was so fun! I'm glad we could get so many of us together! It is sad that so many are leaving! You will be missed.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share