Pages

Dec 11, 2008

O Christmas Tree

We finally decorated our Christmas tree tonight. It's a simple holiday tradition we enjoyed as a family.

I'm the first to admit that I'm struggling to find the joy in the journey -- any journey -- these days, but tonight I had a small reprieve as I fondly remembered Christmases past. As the boys decorated our giant noble fir, I found myself bathed in flashbacks that included my own childhood, my teenage years, the first holidays Garry and I shared, and the seven Christmases that have included our children.

There's a story behind every single ornament. The clothespin angel a high school friend gave me the year we graduated. The wooden stocking stenciled with my name from a mall in California, purchased on a trip when I was obsessed with a boy from Orange. The set of 8 home-made ornaments I painted with my fellow young women in 1993. The ceramic reindeer that always has to have a special place.

This is one of the oldest ornament on our tree -- a gift from my parents when I was young. I believe my brother and sister have similar angels.

Then there's a Zachary hand print, one that's not so different than one he'd make now. But someday I'm sure I'll really love this one.

This one came from Grandma Dent, whose tree used to have dozens of Raggedy Anns and Andys. Each of the grandchildren got a set a few years ago.
.And the birdie that kept spinning and spinning so I couldn't get a focused picture.

The idea of getting new and unique ornaments every year was a new tradition for Garry when we got married; this is the only ornament he had in 1998, while I had a big box.

This one came from Grandma Dent a few years ago, and it is the boys hands-down favorite!

This is the first ornament Garry and I bought together for Christmas 1998 when we were still newlyweds.

Then there are lots of ornaments like this -- homemade with photos. Remember the playgroup ornament exchange of 2003, Jen P.? The back says, "Do you hear what I hear? Love, Sarah."

This snowflake came home for Christmas 2004, when Tyler was eight months old. Time sure flies!

Part of me would like to have a fancy, themed tree with beautiful ornaments that match, perfectly placed lights and ribbon, and a gorgeous tree skirt. But most of me really likes this eclectic hodge-podge of random decorations, the always-askew Santa hat, and the perpetually bare and rearranged lower branches. It's like throwing my life history on a pine tree for a few weeks out of the year. What's better than that?

8 comments:

The Wizzle said...

We've got a very similar tree, as you know, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

granny said...

Mine is similar as well, haha. I keep losing boxes of ornaments as the kids move out. You'd think I'd run out....but no. Such fun traditions.

Kate said...

We had similar angels on our tree too... But I don't recall having seen them as we decorated last week. I'm in LOVE with the ornament every year tradition. I always try to pick out the new ones on grandma's tree. :) Thanks for sharing your happy tree!

Vicki said...

Looks great!

Colleen said...

Beautiful, full tree! I love it! And I agree completely on the tree of memories. Decorating the tree is one of my favorite holiday traditions, because I get to have flashback after flashback of so many great years.

angiedunn said...

hodge podge rocks the hizitty house.

love yours. [perhaps i'll set mine up sometime.]

kendra said...

The picture of Tyler looks so much like Gavin looks now. I thought it was Gavin until I read it. I really want a beautiful "Martha Stewart"esque tree too - but maybe someday. For now I'll enjoy the memories too.

Jen said...

Yeah! I was so excited to see your ornament from our playgroup exchange years ago. Our tree is exactly like yours and those playgroup ornaments are some of my favorites. I have a trip down memory lane every time we get them out. One thing I did on our tree to tie things together a bit is putting a set of red traditional ornaments and small, matching bows all over the tree. I like the red ribbon you wrapped around the tree. Great idea to take pics of the ornaments and blog it. I might have to do that too! Fun!! P.S. I was happy to see your party went well and that it's over! Yeah!!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share