Aug 12, 2008

Sleeping sound-off

Thanks to all who have offered advice and/or consolation related to Gavin's/my sleeping woes. I'm not sure whether to report success or just a different kind of failure now that we've been working on things for a week.

This is how I found Gavin after I got out of the shower today. He had been crying but suddenly stopped. Apparently that's because he fell asleep! He had only been awake for two hours, but I guess he was so tired that even jumping couldn't keep him awake.

Gavin is getting pretty good at falling asleep on his own in bed. If he cries at all, it's usually for five minutes or less. I've grown to enjoy our little routine before bed, and I'm so grateful that the going to sleep part of the day is easy. Unfortunately, my sleep training efforts have not helped the duration of his naps AT ALL. He usually only naps for 30-45 minutes at a time. He wakes up very grumpy, obviously tired, and is very difficult for the next hour or two. Then, by dinner time, he is so exhausted and cranky that the house seems ready to implode. He is getting circles under his eyes from lack of sleep. It is ridiculous.

Added to the nap drama is the fact that Gavin is still nursing, and while it's not quite time for him to nurse before his naps, I'm afraid that a hungry tummy is waking him up prematurely. But if I feed him before the nap, he always falls asleep, which gets in the way of him learning to fall asleep on his own.

Gavin still wants to eat in the middle of the night, as well (just once between 3:00 and 4:00). When he cries at that time, I find his binky and tuck him in, but then he screams hysterically for at least half an hour before falling asleep. Then he's back up within in an hour to repeat the cycle. I just don't know what to do.

When I found Gavin asleep in his jumper today, I hoped that the obvious fatigue would keep him asleep for a while. However, in spite of an utterly silent house, Gavin slept for 20 minutes in his crib after I transferred him. I responded when he woke up, but then left him tucked back into bed, hoping he'd go back to sleep. Instead, he screamed for an hour. I checked on him intermittently but after an hour I just couldn't take it any more. I knew he was hungry, so he nursed and then we cuddled and read some stories so he could calm down. Both of us are traumatized and I don't know where to go from here.

I realize this is sounding a little desperate, but I suppose it is. Thanks for listening!
Post a Comment

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share