Pages

Jul 30, 2013

Sometimes life is messy

Last week I forgot a load of laundry in the washer.  It sat, fermenting, for three days.  When I discovered my mistake, the load of wash (a big one--reds and pinks and oranges--my kitchen towels, bathroom rugs, and a good chunk of Kate's and Lexi's wardrobes) stunk. Bad. So I washed it again, and that didn't work.  I poured Oxy Clean and vinegar in the load, washed it again, and it didn't work.  Finally, I soaked the entire load in hot water and a whole lotta vinegar and baking soda.  The clothes soaked over night, and the towels soaked for 24 hours.  Here's what that looked like.


Eventually, after great care and patience, the stinky smell left and the laundry was fresh and clean once again. I've decided that's like life.  Sometimes an unexpected mess drops in my lap and I don't know what to do with it. I didn't go looking for trouble; it just found me and hurt more than I expected.  I try and try and try and that thing is still stupid and messy.  After a while, though, the mess lessens, and in time the stench fades and everything is back to normal again.

Right now my mess isn't super tragic.  It just feels stinky and stupid. I'm not sure what the vinegar-and-baking soda solution looks like yet, but I look forward to coming out on the other side all fresh and rosy.

P.S.  I'm being cryptic on purpose.  Giving details would be even more dramatic, and of course I wouldn't want that.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I thought of you this week when my load of laundry got stinky in my washer. The few that I pulled out to test smelled fine--if not a bit vinegary. But, it seems there were a few pieces that somehow maintained their stink, along w/ a strong smell of vinegar. Yuck. Thank goodness for washing machines, though!

Sorry you're dealing with some stink. I hope it rinses clean soon!

angiedunn said...

i like this reminder & it's so true. it's a good thing we all have messes....makes the stink a little easier to bear knowing you're not alone.

one of my fave quotes: it'll all be okay in the end - if it's not okay, it's not the end.

GinaJ said...

Life is like a batch of laundry... Very applicable as a life lesson.

Colleen said...

I love lessons in life from the laundry! There are so many parallels, aren't there? I hope you find your vinegar/soda solution quickly!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share