Pages

Dec 31, 2011

The next ten years

I tend to be pretty nostalgic on New Year's Eve as I contemplate the closing year and the new one opening before me.  This particular Eve is especially full of memories, since ten years ago today, Garry and I started our post-college life in a little apartment in Beaverton, Oregon.  We moved in at the end one of the wettest Decembers on record with a two-month-old baby, two degrees but no job for Garry, and not a friend in the state.  The next week, The Bartle Bulletin, then a weekly email newsletter designed to keep in touch with faraway friends and family, was born.



I always make New Year's resolutions, and this year will be no different.  Although I try to focus on improving the here and now, my recollections about the past make me think a little further into my future than the next 12 months.  As I consider all of the marvelous things that began in January 2002--parenthood, Garry's career, the beautiful Oregon segment of our life, and a detailed family history, to name a few--I can't help but wonder what the next ten years will hold.


This New Year definitely feels like turning the page into a new chapter of my family's life.

6 comments:

linda said...

Happy New Year Bartle family.

Bridgette Knowlson said...

I totally recognize the Beaverton photos :) I hope your next 10 years are filled with good memories and fun experiences! (And less chaos would be nice too) Thanks for helping me feel not alone with kids' "creativity" and daily struggles.

granny said...

What a beautiful family. It is crazy what can happen in 10 years! Just played the "when Kate is 10, then...." in my mind. Lots of fun ahead!

angiedunn said...

we are so related! new years is the best!

love you bartles. it's hard for me to believe that was ten years ago!! ♥♥♥

Grandma said...

Wow, so much changes in 10 years. You're a wonderful family. Yea for the next 10.

Melanie said...

Ten years sure makes a difference! I'm quite shocked how my kids have started leaving the nest in the past 10 years. There is no holding back the passage of time.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share